National Gun Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,081 Posts
Supposedly it's much easier for the wealthy or elite to acquire permits up there
Cant speak on NY but In NJ its very dependent on the municipality. I am not wealthy or elite and I dont have any issue getting permits. Fortunately for me I just happen to live in a town with a PD that has a good firearms unit. I have heard of nightmares though from folks in other townships. My FFL was telling he had a customer that took 6 months to get their handgun permits. It definitely happens.
God help you if you live in a township with an anti-gun police chief or public safety officer.

This is one of the reasons the NJSP went to all electronic permitting. To streamline it and so municipalities couldn't add their own requirements. Prior to this you had certain municipalities requiring things that weren't part of the law. For example... a character letter from your employer and things like that.

I have a friend that lives in south jersey. When you apply for a handgun permit you needed 2 personal references. Prior to things being electronic, the police department would mail out a paper questionnaire to those references. I had to have his questionnaire notarized. So it made it inconvenient for me. This is ridiculous. This is the kind of things some police departments were doing. Anything they could do to slow walk the process.
(the questionnaires still get sent, they now come as an email from the state police. They take literally less than a minute to fill out and return)

The New Jersey Second Amendment Society did a whole sting operation and brought forth a couple lawsuits and won.
They're partly responsible for the overhaul in the permitting system.

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
I have seen similar situations here in NY when it comes to CO's getting a pistol permit. Technically they don't need a permit as they can add a pistol to their badge but it's actually a harder process to add one to a badge than a permit. Every CO i know that has applied for a pistol permit usually gets it done in less than 2 months. For the average joe it takes 6-12 months.
I have been background checked more times than i can remember. I don't want to say how many 4473 forms i have filled out in the last 20 or so years but it's been a few
At a previous job we had to be bonded which meant fingerprints and a background check being we had keys to banks and knew how to get the alarms turned off at some.
For my pistol permit i was fingerprinted, references called and a background check along with a interview with a NY Trooper in charge of the pistol permits in our county.
At my current job i get a NCIC check every year to enter a Federal prison. I have literally seen those take less time than me filling out the form. A few times my company let it run out and at the prison they wouldn't let me in so they did it right there. Fill the form and they run it and i go in. 10 minutes and that includes the time to fill in the form.
There is no reason for the holdups we see in many places except bureaucratic BS trying to discourage people from excising their rights. With today's technology every check should be instant and can be if they wanted it to be. I have heard absolute nightmares about NYC and anything involving guns. Unless you're a criminal, rich or famous(some people might be all 3) it's nearly impossible to get a handgun there.
I 've had so many checks i should have a tattoo on my forehead that says "he's good to go"

·
Registered
22 Posts
It may just be NYC that I've heard so many bad things about. Outside of the burroughs it may be a different experience. I have family in the state, but the only ones that I can see having guns live in Poughkeepsie. Nothing like the city from what I remember

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
I know that they are over worked and behind schedule. Our Governor has proposed steep price increases for the NICS fee. He claims that the state is loosing money on it but I don’t believe it. They get the work done in the hours they are pad to work. There’s no overtime, weekend hours or extra part timers helping out. That’s why at times of heavy volume, there a backlog. He just sees a place to hurt gun buyers and pad the state coffers.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,110 Posts
I know that they are over worked and behind schedule. Our Governor has proposed steep price increases for the NICS fee. He claims that the state is loosing money on it but I don’t believe it. They get the work done in the hours they are pad to work. There’s no overtime, weekend hours or extra part timers helping out. That’s why at times of heavy volume, there a backlog. He just sees a place to hurt gun buyers and pad the state coffers.
Guess lawmakers should have considered the overhead...

Our “governor” stole $5 mil from the FOiD fund that pays for the state police to pretend to do stuff. There are 3 whole positions to do the background checks. It’s impossible to do at the volume they are coming in. Last I knew, there was only 1 person doing it. Instead of using the money we paid into the fund, they want to raise fees to contract Indiana to do it for them. Big on virtue signaling, small on brains. There were a few lawsuits going on that challenged the imposed tax on the exercise of our 2A rights.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm guessing you are from Illinois. I have some family there that have been waiting over a year for their FOID (permission slip) to buy a gun. The entire state has one office to process applications. They do not return phone calls. They do not answer the phone. A large chunk (read that millions) of the FOID money gets arms swept off the table and put into the general fund for the state each year. Imagine if that was money designated for planned parenthood, or section 8, etc. Imagine if people were waiting a year for welfare assistance or unemployment. The media would be all over it.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Here in Texas I just electronically fill out the form and hand them my LTC permit.
Last time the check came back in a matter of minutes.
I have not purchased a new firearm through a gun shop since this feeding frenzy has started so i am not sure how long it will take now. Sure want to find out, but what i am looking for is always out of stock

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,110 Posts
I'm guessing you are from Illinois. I have some family there that have been waiting over a year for their FOID (permission slip) to buy a gun. The entire state has one office to process applications. They do not return phone calls. They do not answer the phone. A large chunk (read that millions) gets arms swept off the table and put into the general fund for the state each year. Imagine if that was money designated for planned parenthood, or section 8, etc. Imagine if people were waiting a year for welfare assistance or unemployment. The media would be all over it.
Illinois... financial corruption? No... say it isn’t so... hahaha 🤣. Of course it’s Illinois.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts