National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soon to be in the market for a small and handy .45 acp pistol, probably single stack. And .45 acp only, please, okay?

Now I'm okay with either SA like the 1911 or DA-style (including striker fired) such as a Glock or other striker fired pistols. Thing is, I'm a lefty although I'm fairly ambi (lots of practice) shooting, but IF I choose a pistol w. external safety, it needs to be ambi so I can use it left handed, and sometimes ambi safety pistols which are very compact can get the safety on the other side accidentally swiped off -- I hope this makes sense -- in other words, if I holster the gun on my left side, the safety on the outside of the pistol frame can sometimes get swiped off-safe.

I'm perfectly okay with no external safety, just pull the trigger and it fires. I'm not looking for precision or ultimate firearm stuff, too pricey even though maybe a Les Baer would be keen. A mid priced and reliable pistol is fine with me. Of course I want 100% reliability and therefore a reasonably well made gun. Capacity isn't that important -- 5-7 rounds is fine.

Maybe something smaller than a Glock 36? How about Kahr? Who's got opinions on them? Price is of course a factor, as I don't want to overspend on gee-whiz stuff -- no tac light or other stuff, essentially iron sights are fine. Good, decent manufacture and decent accuracy of course, but I also don't need a weapon "for the ages" that I can pass down to the grandkids, ha ha.

What I'm looking for most is PERSONAL recommendations. I can surf the net just fine, thanks, and find lotsa .45s, but if someone tells me "I've got a Model 529 Bronto and it works great!" that's the sort of stuff I am hoping for as feedback. Thanks in advance.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
The only Kimber pistol I own is a Kimber Ultra CDP. It may fit your requirements. It seems to be a very nice little pistol. I say 'seems' because Leedi took it and uses it as her daily concealed carry pistol. I don't get to shoot it much.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,086 Posts
The only Kimber pistol I own is a Kimber Ultra CDP. It may fit your requirements. It seems to be a very nice little pistol. I say 'seems' because Leedi took it and uses it as her daily concealed carry pistol. I don't get to shoot it much.
That community property thing really bites sometimes. My wife has confiscated a Colt Mustang (1980s model), a Colt 1911 and a Sig P938. :mad2:

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
You might ask experience around the web with one of these.
Boberg XR9 & XR45 | Most Powerful Pocket Pistols On Earth
Definitely interesting.

EDIT: Just to add. You want 100% reliability. Sounds more like a revolver? If you'd consider changing calibers. I'm 100% behind a Ruger LCR. People ain't kidding when they say it's a shooter. Have to shoot one before you really know for yourself. 357 ain't no wimp round. If you work it right. It can be as concealable as an LCP. With quick draw. ....and Yes.... I do love 45 acp ... my number one choice of caliber. The LCR is special.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, those Kimbers are great, I agree. Just maybe a bit too pricey for me. But hey, if my book sales take off, that's a game changer for next spring.

I bought a nice Kimber full size once, and 1 week later a buddy offered me $150 more than I'd paid. Goodbye Kimber.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
You want 100% reliability. Sounds more like a revolver? If you'd consider changing calibers. I'm 100% behind a Ruger LCR. People ain't kidding when they say it's a shooter. Have to shoot one before you really know for yourself. 357 ain't no wimp round. If you work it right. It can be as concealable as an LCP. With quick draw. ....and Yes.... I do love 45 acp ... my number one choice of caliber. The LCR is special.
I can strongly recommend Ruger's LCR. One in .38 Special (+P) is my daily carry piece.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You might ask experience around the web with one of these.
Boberg XR9 & XR45 | Most Powerful Pocket Pistols On Earth
Definitely interesting.

EDIT: Just to add. You want 100% reliability. Sounds more like a revolver? If you'd consider changing calibers. I'm 100% behind a Ruger LCR. People ain't kidding when they say it's a shooter. Have to shoot one before you really know for yourself. 357 ain't no wimp round. If you work it right. It can be as concealable as an LCP. With quick draw. ....and Yes.... I do love 45 acp ... my number one choice of caliber. The LCR is special.
I already have a nice little snubby .357 but I'm partial to the .45acp round, just out of loyalty's sake -- that's what my Dad carried.

Ruger LCR is definitely a possible IF I wanted other than a .45 -- I already own a KelTec .380 but I want more zip, so .45acp ONLY, okay? I'm kinda skeered of odd-ball brands like Boberg without any personal feedback from those who own them.

But thanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
There's no such thing as a "compact" .45 ACP automatic pistol - they're all huge, and very, very heavy - often around 25 ounces! And that's empty! Fully loaded, and with a holster, you're looking at the weight of 3 Burger King Whoppers plus a super-sized order of fries - literally lunch for 3 hanging on your belt. No thanks.

But if you must, the most reasonable package in your caliber of choice would probably be a Kahr PM 5 - at 19.3 ounces (empty), they are halfway portable and borderline concealable. They're also ridiculously overpriced for a polymer pistol that costs less than $50 to build - MSRP is $880, yours from Gunbroker for around the mid $600's.
The next closest option is probably something like a Springfield Armory XDs - starting at 21.5 ounces empty. At least with that you get a grip safety.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just get a 1911 Commander size. Rock Island makes a good one that doesn't break the bank. So does American Tactical Imports. Basically, any of the Armscor pistols are good quality 1911's. I have a Citadel full size 1911. Great pistol. Eats any .45 ACP I feed it including semi wad cutters and hollow points. Feeds from it's original factory 8 round mags and also the two old military surplus 7 round mags I have.

the Springfield 1911 Commander size runs just a bit over $700. An Armscor Precision is just over $575. The Citadel is $513, You can get one of the Rock Islands for around $475

It all has to do with how much you want to spend. A Sig 1911 Commander size runs over a grand.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,211 Posts
Those definitely look good

·
Registered
5,908 Posts

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
I have carried the XDs 45 acp for a couple years now. The gun is easy to carry and shoots fairly accurately. I am switching back to a 1911 since I just purchased a new Ruger 1911 45 Lightweight. Both are good choices and easy to carry.

·
Super Moderator
5,608 Posts
I myself been looking for a carry 45. My Springfield Mil-Spec is great, just a bit large for Summer carry. For me its between either the Colt Defender or Glock 36 or 30. Use to have a Colt LW Officers Model many years back, sold it to pay some bills. Liked it a lot plus with work done to it - magna-ported, trigger, Novak sights, mag well beveled, extended beaver tail, etc etc just don't know if I want to go through this once more. The Colt Defender pretty much has want I want on it for a 1911, though its going to stay simple if I purchase it. The 30 has ten rounds which I like with a slightly longer barrel. The 36 is nice and just a bit easier to conceal then either the Defender or the 36. I, myself, as much as I would want the Defender I do feel the Glock 30 or the Glock 30 SF is going to win out. The Defender is so tempting plus with no Colt in my collection...you get the picture.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, horse is of course right that there's no true "compact" .45 but I'm still looking for the most compact of them available. And you're right about the Kimber. Gorgeous pistols.

As I told someone in a PM, I'm just window shopping right now and had thought I'd be getting a new .45 this past spring but I got pretty ill and that put off all my plans. Now I'm kind of back in gear and I'll be keeping notes for a while and checking out stuff, and may go for it late fall or early spring. No rush.

Thing is, with all 3 of my mystery novels being published this fall, next year might just be nicely lucrative -- not a huge bunch of money but certainly enough for me to waltz into the LGS and buy exactly what I want, price no object. At least I can keep that on my "maybe" list, hey?

Otherwise I'm looking in the $700-800 range new, and a good Kimber compact is over a grand. I've got time to plan and check things out, and I do appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In the $700-$800 range there are a lot of the Commander size 1911's available. Take a look at Buds Gun Shop. This will get you a list of 1911's
Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Just browse through the list and look for the smaller models.
I really like this Magnum Research little Desert Eagle at $817
MAG DE1911USS 1911 45ACP SS 3IN $817.00 SHIPS FREE
They have a blued model a little farther down the list at $721

Para Ordnance has an offset stack version that holds 10 rounds in the mag. It's in the price range and has a 3" barrel. It currently out of stock at Bud's but you can certainly find it somewhere
PARA WHX1045RK WARTHOG 45 3IN 10R BLK $792.00 SHIPS FREE

I can understand why you want one - I also want one.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
a compact LH friendly 45.........

i like full size 1911's but my experience with officer size has been bad. More-over, to my way of thinking, the addition of an ambi safety creates a weak point on the 1911 design. At least it seems to me that way as i guess i was either hard on them or its just that LH folks put strain on that off side switch as they seem to get slack in them over time and will break on occasion. Not a deal breaker if you keep a close watch but still aggravating.

if i was hitting the used gun market, i probably would be on the look out for a S&W model 4513 that has the ambi safety/decocker...........that or find an old econo-line smith model 457 and just carry it with the safety off. you can get away with that as it is a da/sa design.

that inexpensive model 457 is a good one....flat, light, and accurate.....it went south on another idiotic trade on my part many years back........

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, such great tips! Thanks to all. I'll check 'em all out. As for specific shop prices, here in Houston we've got a bunch of highly competitive LGS plus the gun shows, and here in Texas prices at the shows from the major dealers just about beat everyone's. Added to that is you can cash and carry (or Visa and carry) with your concealed permit. No waiting. No shipping. Just out the door.

Re. the XD, I've got a terrific Springfield XD Tactical .45 with the longer barrel, and it's awesome. Way too big to carry but great for the home.

I know that Springfield isn't the best but they certainly offer a fine range of prices and you do get your money's worth with them.

Later, gang.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I just got a XDs in .45. Only have about 50 rounds through it so far but I suspect it's going to be my primary cary gun.
Did you get it in time for the special -- 3 additional mags?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts