National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m from California but my family moved to Texas when I was 18. I’m still here in Texas but frankly I miss CA, most of my friends and loved ones are there and every time that I visit, despite the terrible politics etc. I want to go home. My parents recently moved back and live in San Bernardino County which is a shall issue county, if I went and lived with them, and got my permit, would I then be able to move to Orange county and keep my permit, or is there no reciprocity between counties? What about living in one county and crossing over into another for whatever reason, pretty much everyone I love lives right on the border in Yorba Linda and the Anaheim Hills so the idea of staying in the IE isn’t ridiculous and is more economical, but still I’d be crossing borders a lot, and very well might have to go into LA or OC for work.

Yes I know that California sucks you don’t have to tell me but it’s still home for me, I know more than one person that has moved back to China or Pakistan from the US even when they could stay and even though those places are objectively worse places to live because the pull of home is strong...

·
Registered
144 Posts
As an expat of CA, I don't understand you wanting to go back. But I called my cousin to get you an answer. It is a STATE permit. There fore good in the whole state. But, if you move, technically you are supposed to get it reissued as soon as you move. I remember years ago I had a permit issued in Fresno and I loved to go to San Francisco just to watch their heads explode.

·
Registered
18,970 Posts
Last I knew from a year ago, before i moved from Fountain Valley, CA., county sheriffs issued carry permits in Orange County.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If you got a permit in San Bernardino county then moved to Orange County you should be able to keep your permit and renew it yearly. The issue isn't county to county reciprocity it is an issue that some counties are pretty much shall issue while others will do everything in their power to stonewall or deny your application for a permit. The permit once issued is good statewide and renewals shouldn't be an issue. I have a friend who got his permit years ago up in Sonora which is a pretty pro gun juristdiction. He later moved to San Jose which is a very anti gun Liberal stronghold yet still maintains his permit from Sonora.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Doesn't he have to maintain a Sonora address?
No, the permit once issued is a statewide permit and follows where ever you reside within the state. The trick in California is to reside in a county where you're likely to be successful in having a permit issued to you. Many counties will arbitrarily deny permit applications or stonewall the application with endless delays, the process can take years with the applicant possibly never getting their permit issued in that county. The permits must be approved by the chief law enforcement officer in that juristdiction. Renewals are a different matter and since the permit is statewide they aren't typically denied unless the permit holder has had some sort of scrape with the law since the permit was first issued. Also the permits don't need to be renewed in the same county as issued if the permit holder changes residence.
Also to clarify the permit I mentioned earlier is a California concealed weapons permit originally issued in the city of Sonora in Northern Ca.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts