National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really geared towards the reloaders in the group. What one considers a reasonable stockpile is different if you aren’t recycling your brass. In addition, how much you shoot also has an impact on how much you stockpile.

Some of you guys, I’m sure, make me look like an amateur. If you aren’t reloading, feel free to chime in, just identify if you aren’t reloading.

These numbers might seem spread out but the min number is loaded at any given time. The high number is ideal stockpile after everything is loaded. This way, I’m not reloading after every range session.

For semi autos, pistol and rifle, my magic number is 2,000-3,000 rds per caliber. 200-400 rounds per caliber is pretty normal per range session so it really doesn’t take all that long to go through 1,000 rds. In a bugout situation, I want plenty on hand.

For revolvers and lever action rifles, that magic number is between 500-1,500. You don’t go through the ammo near as fast (in my experience). 100-200 rds per range session.

For .22LR that magic number is between 10,000-12,000. At 8,000 I feel panicked like I’m running out. Probably because 500-1,500 rds per session is normal to go through.

Shotguns are broke in a couple categories, target shot #7-8 shot is around 1,500-2,000. I don’t reload these. #4-6 shot is around 100-150 rounds. I don’t use these often. Slugs, 200-400.

What about for bolt action rifles? Has anyone found that magic number? If so, what is your magic number and why? I’ve got 4 calibers I’m stockpiling, I’d like to hear opinions on these and anything else above if you are different.

·
Live Free
3,243 Posts
I do things a bit differently, so your ideal stockpiles differ from mine, with yours mostly being larger. I do not have the space or the funds to maintain that much ammo for every caliber semi I own. But I do maintain a higher level of the two calibers I consider essential if things go south to the degree that anarchy reigns in America; .45ACP and 7.62x51 for example.

Regarding bolt guns, I stock heavier for rifles I use as varmint guns, keeping several hundred rounds on hand at all times. Others vary according to usage. For example, since I no longer live in Iowa where a straight walled case is mandated for deer hunting, I maintain only about 150 for the .450 Bushmaster. In my case I might have more ammo if I have more than one rifle in that caliber (especially if one is a semi). And I also might stock higher for calibers where I have both a handgun and a carbine in that caliber. I have three rifles in 6.5 Grendel, and I like shooting all of them, so I maintain a much higher level there.

Purchased ammo such as rimfire and shotgun; at least 5,000 .22, about 500 .17 HMR, 200-300 shot shells in 12 & 20 ga. And a few slugs.

Regardless of how much I stock of loaded ammo, I always maintain that supply level by loading some ammo just about every week.

I do maintain high levels of reloading supplies (all components!) at all times...

·
Aim true !
11,304 Posts
I don't know exact amounts of ammo on hand. I do reload what i did shoot after an outing. Well stocked on components. I have 4 cases of primers not opened up. And a few 1000 count boxes of LP SP LR SR and some 209 primers for my inline muzzle loader. On the loading shelf of what im working from. Between all my powders i estimate 50 pounds. 500-1000 of each caliber i load in coated cast and jacketed bullets.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Coalcracker Well stocked on components is just as prepared as high volume of ammo -the labor. I generally keep some supplies but I try to keep everything loaded if possible. If don’t want large quantities of brass sitting on my shelves. When they could be ready to go. I keep less than half the loading supplies.

As @AgedWarrior suggested, space is a big deal once loaded though. It becomes a liability too if someone breaks in and takes it so it has to remain under lock and key. That by itself is expensive.

One of the reasons for the higher volume is the higher volume of shooters. I have 4 shooters living here. While all together, they may only shoot half what I do, it still adds up.

In the event of societal breakdown, that’s 3 more people to arm too. What was once a far fetched notion has already become a reality in cities around the country, Democrats just haven’t acknowledged that’s what it is.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
i am only strong in my inventory of two specifics....

38 special
12 ga

have over a thousand rounds of factory 38 put away in ammo cans....the break glass in case of emergency type inventory. Many more rounds of reloaded 38 than i really know for immediate range use.....and more bullets, brass, primers, and powder on hand to crank out more. Lets just say i am comfortable.

12 ga........i can not really say the exact amount, but the same deal. Two ammo cans stacked full of 5 rd boxes of buck and slugs. And some more buck and slugs still on the shelf for occasional practice. Also a couple of flats of No. 6 which is usual.

i would say i don't need no stinking rifle ammo....but i do have a few boxes here and there.....not really considered inventory for the long haul.....but comfortable for my needs.

biggest deficiency.....32 ammo.....heck of a time to fall in love with a new caliber and start over.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
biggest deficiency.....32 ammo.....heck of a time to fall in love with a new caliber and start over.
I still have yet to get me a .32/.327 but I will some day.

I am in the process of selling off some of the poly frame guns and replacing with steel frames. My number of guns decreased but the quality of those guns has gone up. For instance, my last trade off was a Stoeger 9mm and 2 GSG Fireflies for a S&W 1911. Working on a either a 44 magnum or another 500 magnum right now.

·
Aim true !
11,304 Posts
Yeah i only have a 100 rounds of 32 sw long. Been using the brass from when i bought my 1st 2 boxes.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
i started trimming back guns/calibers a while back......and have been giving away guns to the children.......let them feed them guns and worry about their own inventory instead of me!!!!

temptation still strikes every once in a while though....o_O

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
My numbers are pretty much in line with yours except I'm maybe around the half way mark on .22's. 2-3k for the popular semi auto pistol, 500+ for the not as popular. 38/357 probably in the 2-3k range and larger stuff like 44, 45colt around 1000. I usually don't even set up a machine to load unless I'm doing 500 or more for those. For most large rifle stuff it's in the 100-200 or a little more on some except for maybe 30-06 where i might have 500 or so but i have a garand so you can eat it up pretty quick. I do have quite a few obscure, older or BP rounds i load where I'll have only 20-100 per caliber. They don't get shot much. The other day i just loaded some .577 snider and i think i did 16 plus had a box of 25 and that will last me a year or more.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve got 3k 9mm Luger stored and will be loading up 3k 45 ACP soon. I’m building up my stock of 30 Carbine and will build up my stock of 30-06. Got a good source of low cost new brass, which I need. The 30-06 brass I have on hand is at the end of its life.

I collect old military rifles exclusively, so some don’t have much (if any) ammunition stockpiled. I do tend to have a lot of 8mmx50 Lebel and 7.92x57 on hand, as I have multiple rifles chambered in those cartridges.

Rifle cartridges are reloaded by hand using a single stage, hand held press. Pistol cartridges are reloaded using my Dillon Square Deal B. I won’t reload pistol cartridges unless I’m doing a run of at least 500 pieces. I have thousands of pieces of pistol brass stored, bagged in units of 100. When I get a bulk order of projectiles in, I break bulk and bag them in units of 100 as well. That way, if I want to reload 500 cartridges, all I have to do is grab five bags of each item-no time wasted counting it out.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
357 Posts
I don’t buy many of just one thing. I like variety. I was always told if you see something you don’t always see buy it. So i have pretty much every grain of the 223/5.56 variants and several kinds of bullets I don’t see a lot of in stores like zombie tips, the bigger 70+ grain VMAX red tips, and so forth.

each of my bags is a different size or bullet with no repeats. Some of these are too close to see visibly, 50gr, 55gr, 60gr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts