National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unusual H&R slabside 9 shot .22 revolver, model 989, is not listed in any of my resources. It has two neat features, a key lock in the butt that locks the action for safety and a spring loaded button below the hammer that causes the cylinder to fall out for loading or unloading. The revolver is pristine except for scratches on the butt, I have the origional H&R key to lock the action. I've never fired it but the action locks up tight ad I see no reason that it wouldn't fire.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
WOW! That's an awesome piece! Gotta love that adjustable rear sight too!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Now that's COOL! I've never seen an H&R like that.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Gunzzi said:
WOW! That's an awesome piece! Gotta love that adjustable rear sight too!
+1 never have seen this before - thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That's a Model 939 Ultra Sidekick. Some times the stampings on the H&Rs is a little deep and then it may look like an 8 rather than a 3. They were made in three variations starting circa 1958-59 - 1965 for the first variation - with the hammer mounted push button cylinder release, hammer mounted firing pin and the key lock in the butt. 2nd Variation circa 1966-74 - key locked dropped, push button cylinder release dropped, and 3rd Variation 1974 - 1980 - with transfer bar safety system. Value in v.good condition is around $185, As NIB - as high as $265. I have 3 examples in my collection 2 are NIB. The cylinder release push button in the hammer was Patented and unique to H&R, when it was dropped - it was never seen again. The key lock was about 35 years ahead of its time. Hope this helps. I can't read the serial number in the butt, if you post it, we can figure out the year of manufacture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info 32 mag, yes the 939 is listed in my book although the 3 sure looks like an 8. I fell in love with it on an auction one night and me and another dude kept bumping heads, the last 15 minutes wound up being an hour. I'd never bought an H&R before and was under the impression it was inferior due to low initial and resale price. I was pleasantly surprised to see this is a well made revolver, locks up tight, accurate with the adjustable sights and like the 9 shots vs 6. I've probably got more in it than I'll get out but I've decided it's a keeper, so it's not for sale. Everybody that sees it is really impressed as there aren't many H&R's in this part of GA.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

If this worked out, you'll see the three 939's in my collection with research note captions. If not, I'll have to get another picture host.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts