National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presenting: Rangemaster Sunday Night League. We are a collective of individuals of different ages, genders, races, religions, political ideologies (and so forth) that shoot competitions out of Memphis' own Rangemaster. Our schedule has recently been rearranged to accommodate growing business, and this league now shoots on most Sunday nights. The following is the recently-started documentation of these competitions, which have been going on periodically for well over a decade. To give a basic summation of the style/rules of the league, it's not greatly dissimilar to I.D.P.A.; however, if one were to compare the two styles, one would find that it is generally more tactically and practically oriented in both rules and behavior.

Episode 1. From June.
This did not prove to actually be the first episode, but it was the first one to be published because of technical limitations. It was intentionally kept short, and is overall very "dry." The video is of one night's activities.
(Bonus video:
)

Episode 2. From July.
After finally getting the first video published successfully, the mood of the series shifted towards entertainment. In this video and the following videos, it was the active goal of production to balance both the education and appeal value; subsequently, the videos get longer and more dramatic. Like the first and third episode, the footage was all from one night.
(Bonus video:
)

Episode 4. August.
Now the videos start to become rather smooth and streamlined. The overall result from this video was great, except the dark stages, which were recorded incorrectly. To see as much as possible from the dark night, watch it on the highest resolution in the biggest size your computer can handle; otherwise, you might just want to skip to the second night. The footage is from three different nights.
(Bonus video:
)

Shotgun Teaser.
Recently, the management of Rangemaster has developed a pro-shotgun approach to both regular business hours and the shooting league (a rarity indeed.) Like the videos, the incorporation of shotguns is still an evolving process, and the possibilities are exciting for the league.

That's about it! The regular video recording is still a very young process, so I as a producer am open to any suggestions. I'm particularly concerned with music sources, editing software, and recording techniques (not getting the camera shot while getting "the shot" can prove difficult). Thanks for reading and watching! For more information about the league and Rangemaster, go to Rangemaster.com.

Full Episode Playlist
Sunday Night League Playlist - YouTube

Full Bonus Playlist
Sunday Night Bonus Videos! - YouTube

·
Registered
15 Posts
interesting concept. Episode one, bothers me though. Your escaping with your child, you need to toss him over you shoulder, not shoot a gun next to his or hers little ears. my daughter is deaf in one ear, and partially deaf in her other, things like this stick out to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you commented, Appliancedude, because the thinking behind the handling of the mock-toddler is actually questioned on a fairly regular basis, and the league shooters often have to remind themselves to treat this event as if it were real-life scenario (instead of gaming it like true competitions) especially when pieces like the toddler are brought out. First, I certainly agree with your concern: being directly parallel to a handgun going off is dramatically louder and more shocking than being separated by a barrier or even being directly behind the gun going off. But the ultimate rationale comes back to survival, in that -- even though you and I both would desire a loved one to encounter no negative effects whatsoever -- we would both also rather have all loved ones survive a potential lethal confrontation.

That being said, there are some reasons for which we believe the front carry method is the better method for carrying a child (not an adult), ensuring the better chance of survival.

• Control of the Child / Focus and Agility. One of the key emphases of surviving a gunfight as taught by the Rangemaster trainers is ending your involvement as quickly as possible. In order to do so, you must (first, come prepared to fight) and then shoot what you need to shoot before it kills you. When someone is panicked and fearful of his/her life, and there is someone else nearby that he/she recognizes as being able to potentially solve that problem, he/she will often literally cling to this person past the point of being detrimental to the rescue effort. (As an example, aquatic lifesaving instructors will tell you to swim out to an actively drowning person only as a last resort, for fear that the person will drown both of you while in a state of panic.) While the picture of a small child tightly hugging a hero is endearing, restricting "the hero's" agility and focus in a situation in which he/she needs agility and focus to solve the problem is counter-productive, and thus time consuming. When on the shoulder, the conscious child can grab at either arm and the head, as well as block the field of vision. When against the torso, you have no loss in field of vision, and you can much more ably restrict the child, allowing you to remove unnecessary distractions and accelerate the gunfight in your favor.
  • Balance. While the centers of gravity for men and women differ, in either case centering the child in the upper/middle torso (for men) or the middle/lower torso (for women) is going to require less effort to maintain balance, especially as the child gets heavier.
I agree though, it is worth considering the alternatives when both people's states of living and their lives are at stake. Questions like this are appreciated because it gets people thinking!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts