National Gun Forum banner

Range weekend

684 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Square target 
#1 ·
Went to the range yesturday to try out a few new guns and run some odd ammo through the Henry 45 colt. I got there and there was a huge group of people(10-12) and they were out in the range about 40 yds shooting at the 50 yd mark with AR's. I thought at first there was some sort of training course going on but a guy yells back and said they would be a few minutes and they were sighting in a rifle. So a bunch of 30rd mag dumps at 10 yds while i was setting up my steel at 25 yds and paper at 7ds. I wanted to make a comment about sighting in rifles at 10 ds with 30 rounds in 4 seconds but i kept it to myself. So they come back and i proceed to do some shooting and some yoyo kept going past the benches into the range about 10 feet doing sks mag dumps. Now i have no problem that they were doing mag dumps or had 30 rd mags, or a rifle that they shouldn't have in NY, i'm all for that stuff but don't freakin walk past the benches while another is shooting and don't while standing 40yds on the range! While i was shooting i heard one guy say "i'm going to go check my target" and just walked past the benches while i was shooting. So i packed up my stuff and left. I really didn't want to be there when a ambulance and police were called.....

When back this morning and the place was a mess. Brass everywhere, empty ammo boxes etc. No one there so i set up my targets and started picking stuff up. Now the trash is overflowing and i picked up a good portion of the brass and also managed to pick up about 15lbs of range lead too. Nothing worse than slobs or idiots but this group was both. pretty sure i got all their cars and plate numbers when i pulled in there on my dash cam, just have to check so i can fwd it to the club....So anyway

Shot a Bersa thunder i got over the winter. Was shooting quite a bit to the left and drifted the sight over and got it close. Might have to play with it a bit more. Not too enthused about this gun but it isn't bad.
Ran about 100 rounds through my baby eagle 45acp. Ran great and i love everything about that gun except it seems to spit brass into never never land. I think i found half of it?
Ran soem ammo through the F&N Hi Power. when i tried it yesterday i was having trigger rest problems and thought something was wrong with. When i came home i did some web searching and i guess you need to fully release the trigger after each pull to allow the transfer bar? to drop. Totally different system than i have ever seen. I took it all apart too just to make sure everything was free and oiled it all up. Took a bit of practice but after a couple of mags i could pretty much shoot shot after shot without a "dead" trigger. Will probably take a bit more practice to get it 100%.
Put about 70 rounds though the Henry and rapid fire i can hit the plate at 25yds 10 for 10 just about every time. Another one I'm super happy i bought. Easy to handle, action so smooth you can just shoulder it, fire, eject and put in another round as fast as you can and pretty much stay right on target.

Came home with all this brass and lead and found a few oddballs. Don't think ive ever seen 30 Rem brass before!
Ammunition Gun accessory Brass Metal

See less See more
Reactions: Rivervalley0311
#2 ·
Sounds like some of the foolish ones that show up at our range; I am like you, I leave so as not to be in the danger zone. But it sounds like you had a good day when you went back :thumbsup:. It is kinda sad having to clean up after folks like that, but nice haul on the brass and lead!

#3 ·
Nice glad you got out. I had a good brass round up too. The one spot they were shooting like crazy. I got a lot of 9mm cases. The one guy was shooting an AR in 7.62x39 impressive gun. And he hit the plate rapid fire. He did the same with his pistol too. He said he practices all the time. It sure paid off.

#4 ·
Our clubs range is kinda informal. It’s a few piles of asphalt millings at the end of a 150 yard gravel parking lot. No benches or target stands but it our range. The locals keep coming in a shooting when we’re not there. They know that we’re not going to be there late sundays and weekdays. There are many times that we have to clean up bottles, cans, paper and just about anything they shoot at and leave behind. Once there even was a washing machine. People are pigs!
One time I got there and these guys had set up in the field just behind and over to the left of our range, shooting on about a 90* angel to our range. They had targets at 100, 150 and 200 yards across the field. So there shooting their AR’s and I walked over to see what was going on. One guy was shooting and the other was spotting. After a few rounds the spotter looks at me and I can see he’s not to sure about what I’m going to say. I said that they were trespassing and were they aware that at the end of that field was a road? Just then a car could be seen going about 100 yards past the 200 yard target. I spoke to them and pointed out a few things. They decided to pack up and not return. Stupid!

#5 ·
. People are pigs!
. Stupid!
This pretty much sums it up right here. Our range is very informal too, just go there and shoot. Don't make a mess and if you do clean up after yourself. Put up a flag when you get there and take it down when you leave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.