National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you take a gun cleaning rod with you to the range to assist with malfunctions with your firearms. Maybe a small dowel and a rubber hammer to pop out barrel obstructions or jammed rounds in a chamber.

Do you have a regular tool kit that you take to the range or do you prefer to wait until you get your guns home to repair them?

G

·
I carry a 17" brass rod that just fits in a .22 cal barrel. It's heavy enough when dropped down a rifle barrel to get most things out. I've only needed it one time, but it's been in the bag ever since.

G

·
Nope. Never needed anything, but I do have a .223 broken shell extractor just in case. I have also brought my screwdrivers after just putting on a scope just to make sure it is tight enough.

G

·
:cool: -Yea, I have a full range box (alumiinum, but I always take 4 rifles)--

--I don't do any action maintenance "at the range " whenever I have trouble with one I just go to the other three--although this hasn't happened--

-I have to shift rifles because Weatherbys with sporter bbls get HOT pretty fast, so I trade to allow cooldown time--

-- :--- :--- --JIMBO

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do intend to start carrying a cleaning rod and maybe a piece of wooden dowel to resolve issues like what I recently encountered in the woods. I was able to pop out the 22 cal shell with my alum cleaning rod with ease at home. Just a sharp tap on the end with my hand did the job. My Ruger 22 target does not like the Remington Thunderbolt lead ammo. Works better with the jacketed stuff.

The 45 auto lead was punched out using a plastic handled screwdriver. I should have used wooded dowel, but since the lead was in the end of the chamber it came out with a few hits of my hand.

G

·
Can't recalling ever needing anything I couldn't beg, borrow or ... borrow a little longer.

We usually shoot up here at an indoor range where my youngest used to work. I know
and am revered (goes to show you how easily the young are snowed nowadays)!

http://gotammo.com/

G

·
I just pack the essentials, guns, ammunition, hearing and eye protection, targets etc:
and that is very heavy as it is... so any maintenance or repair is done at home.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, just the essentials:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gunrnr said:
Yeah, just the essentials:

Ha!Ha! You could build a house on the way home with that toolbox! Where is the Makita? ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Hey, ya never know when you might have to overhaul the ole' go-to-the-range truck on the way back. Anyway, I don't want to have to go back to the shop to get some silly-assed tool that's settin' on the bench when I need it at the range!

...oh, and I had nothing else to do with the box when I got a better fishing tackle box for the boat and I dang sure couldn't throw it away...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts