National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally do a 30 minute session at my local range & shoot around 100 rounds. How long are your normal sessions and how many rounds do you normally shoot?

· Registered
54 Posts
Of late have been doing load development and testing, sessions last about 2.5 hours including setup, shooting and record keeping. Getting expensive it is a private open to the public range at $15.00/day. Not a member yet (free to members), but thinking seriously about it. Membership is $180/yr or $280 for me and my wife, thinking about each of us giving each other a membership for Christmas. have not broached the topic with her yet, but I think she'll go for it.

Edit: Forgot to mention shoot 50 to 60 rounds per session.

Mike

· Registered
17,525 Posts
Usually 400-600 rounds and the time depends on how many others are shooting, how often we(or others) need to go down range to check targets and how much BS'ing we do during breaks. 3 hours is probably the normal though.

· Registered
228 Posts
Usually 50 rds FMJ @ 20 yards with my Beretta and 25 rds with HPs in my Shield at 7-10 yards. 50-100 rds at about 25yards with my .22. We get unlimited time with $250/yr membership, I shoot early weekdays, no crowds and all the time I want. The do limit to 1 hr when range is busy. I try to do another day of rifle if I can get down there.

· Registered
1,944 Posts
Usually I limit myself to 3 guns and have specific tasks for each one. Even then my range numbers make me look like a piker compared to what other guys have posted. Unless I'm bringing a suppressed AR for the boys to shoot or playing around with 22's I rarely shoot more than 15-20 rounds per bolt gun, a typical range session is fewer than 50 rounds total.

· Aim true !
14,170 Posts
Today my neighbor and i went out. I took my 10/22 and my 1911-22's. Probably shot 200 rounds though them. And i shot my inline 50 cal. With some Hornady Pa conicals. They shot accurate at 50 yards. 70 grain pyrodex charge. I got them so i could shoot muzzle loader cheaper. My nighbor shot his 30.06 and Ruger mk2. And his bow. We were out about 3 hours.l had a great time.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
If it's a semi auto. Depends on where I'm at. If at a range with concrete. With brooms and dust pans to pick up. I'll shoot 50, maybe 100 rounds. Othewise... semi auto in a field. Where I'm bending over and picking up the brass. About 12 rounds. :)

Revolver... about 100.

22 rifle in a field with can's to hit. Until I run out of ammo. It's fun!

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
That really varies a lot. Like RMLamp, I seldom take more than three guns at a time. If I am shooting bolt centerfire rifles I could shoot as little as 20 rounds and spend a bit of time if I am testing a load, or up to maybe fifty rounds in an hour to two hours. If I am shooting centerfire handguns, I will typically shoot 200 - 300 in an hour or two. If I am shooting rimfire, I might spend a few hours and shoot a brick; I have a lot of fun with .22’s! (y)
For semi-auto centerfire rifles I might shoot 100 rounds within an hours time, but there are exceptions when I shoot more. However, I don’t shoot 5.56/.223; my semi’s are 6.5 Grendel and .308 so I try to avoid getting too carried away due to cost.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,179 Posts
All depends on how long I stay. Anywhere from 100rds - 500 rds. If I shoot 500rds its usually a mix of 2 sometimes 3 calibers.

Theres a few indoor ranges in the area that I go to. Some are very strict with time (your target is disabled when your time is up) and theres one that isn't. They dont care if you stay all day. The one that doesn't care is where I'll reach the 400/500 rd mark but that takes 2+ hours

Otherwise Id say normally... 200 rounds an hour. 100 9mm and 100 .45
I shoot handguns much, much more than long guns. I bring 2-3 guns usually. (I clean my guns after I shoot them so the more I bring the more I have to clean)

· Registered
3,491 Posts
I’m very fortunate and have a friend that has a range behind his house and can come and go as I please. But when I go I make sure he is home and we shoot together.
How many rounds depends on what I’m doing at the time. Sometimes it’s a hand full, sometimes it’s several hundred.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I am a member of a private gun club. I can shoot 365. It depends on why I go.
Test loads I may only shoot 50-150 rounds in 2-4hours. But just for fun, in the summer, I may spend 6-8 hours and shoot until sundown or I run out of ammo. Between gun, I may take several thousand rounds with me.
Here lately, I'm waiting and not shooting nearly as much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

· Registered
4 Posts
Before Covid, I went to an indoor range weekly... I shot 200 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of 22. I had preloaded mags and needed under an hour. I was buying my 9mm for 12 cents a round. Haven’t been back since the lockdowns started but even when the lockdown is lifted I don’t know how anxious I’m going to be to 200 rounds at 70 cents per.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Last Stand on Earth
6,327 Posts
Oh gosh, my range is 200 yards out the back door. 2-5 guns depends on if the wife, boys or neighbors are shooting. As many as 10 guns have been in circulation at a time. Myself, 300-500 but as many as 1500+ when I have a shooting partner.

If I’m just shooting the 500 magnum I usually don’t go over 100-150 rds. It’s heavy and wears the hands down quickly.

· Jesus Saves
8,649 Posts
I try to go for the lunchtime special, $8 for 1/2 hour or $13 for hour - I'll do the 1/2 hour and use about 100 or so rounds.

If I plan on staying longer, I'll take 2 guns with different calibers; 9mm and maybe .380 or .357/38.......since the china flu, I have only gone twice; 1/2 hour each time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.