National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a Winchester model 94 pre-1964 in .30-30, it was siting in a gun case under a bed for about thirty years. It was my grandma's but she is ninety-three years old now, and she don't go hunting anymore. so she gave me the rifle.

ok, so i cleaned it out; and took it the the range. it fired superbly. the accuracy was great, even though siting in a case for thirty years. but, it kicks like a mule.
I pumped about 24 rds that day before my shoulder gave. and it was hurting for about a week lol.

before i took to the range, a took it to a gunsmith to have it looked at. in his professional opinion he said maybe only about 20 rd had been fired from it. so its in really good condition.

9/10

·
love the UK envy the US
785 Posts
can your gunsmith put some sort of recoil pad on the rifle there is nothing worse than a gun that dont get shot

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks man.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I have noticed that the Win94 30-30 kicks much harder than the Marlin 336 30-30. Gert a good recoil pad

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have a pre 64 94 too. My grandfather gave it to me. It shoots great but doesn't seem to recoil too bad. Steel buttplate on it, no pad. Never needed one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is cool

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
what is the deal with a pre 64 model 94? Winchester did not change the 94. The only thing about pre 64 winchesters is the model 70 where they pretty much made it a model 700. Now that Winchester is again manufacturing the proper Model 70 action there is no reason to get excited about a pre 64 Winchester.
That is not to denigrate the Winchester 94 of any age; it is just that there is no difference between a 1963 model 94 and a 1965 model 94. It was the Model 70 that Winchester screwed up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow, I was also lucky enough to pick up a Pre-64 Model 94 recently. Mine has a 1920's Border Patrol rifle stock with steel buttplate. I managed 20 rounds from it which hit the steel plate at 100, and 150 meters. That's good deer range for brush country and I was happy. Yes this little baby kicks

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
1963 Was the last year for all steel parts in the 94-Winchester. In 1964 they started using platics and such to save money. That's why the pre-64's are more valuable to the collectors.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1963 Was the last year for all steel parts in the 94-Winchester. In 1964 they started using platics and such to save money. That's why the pre-64's are more valuable to the collectors.
i looked up the serial # and it was made in 1955.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.