National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got to shoot that little bugger, having had it since November. I have to say, now I know why several of y'all like the little guy. I only shot 30 rnds (5 mags worth) and tried both ball (90 gr Independence -- lowest bidder stuff) and defensive (95 gr Winchester SXT). I felt very little difference between the two, so I will save a buck and practice with the lowest-bidder stuff.

I started out at the 25-yd line. Ha Ha Ha...forget that stuff! Between the teeny-tiny sights and the cold wind in my face, I couldn't see well enough to do much damage. So I moved up just behind the 15-yd line and found the target after the first two shots. As I said, the sights look more like mold marks in the slide, but who really needs sights on a gun like this?!

After the first two shots I was able to keep the rest on the 8"x12" target (minute of bad guy), I'm satisfied that I can hit what needs to be hit in the distances I would be needing to do so. It's fit and feel are sufficient and I can quickly attain a natural point of aim (necessary with the sights such as they are).

For once, my small hands came in handy for this little pistol. I don't think you guys with big mits would be comfortable -- might think about the PF-9, instead. The trigger is comfortable but heavy enough to be safe. It needs a positive steady pull for the gun to fire. I want that in a carry pistol. There are no external controls and minimal places that could bind up on clothing during the draw. Again, good for defense and for safety. All in all I think I'll be comfortable carrying it, especially in summer. It's not fancy and the accuracy is only adequate, but hey, it's a P3-AT, not a damn Gold Cup! Certainly worth the cost at under $250.00.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Glad you like it Gunrnr. I got mine about 11/2yrs ago and it does a fine job. Mines in my pocket at all times. I look at it as a last chance gun. Since the day I got it I have been point shooting it as the sites are to small to pick up in a hurry. I put four mags through it every time I go to the range. Two with my strong side and two with my weak side. I can keep it on paper at 15' with a very weak off side. Their what my friend calls a smell their breath gun. Stick it in their face and pull the trigger twice (repeat if needed). I had a few gliches with it when I frist got it but I think I might have been the cause of them. It now shoots anything I put in it. Anyway I happy with mine and good luck with yours. :-B-:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
i put another 200 rounds through mine this past weekend without a problem. i tested out a couple different types of hollowpoints for it as well, to find a good carry round. they all functioned perfectly, but the PMC starfire were quite a bit more accurate. i think i will start to carry those rounds since they are on the shelf at the local hardware store for a decent price. i like to be able to practice with my carry ammo from time to time. all in all, i found my P3AT to be a great deep concealment gun. i'm glad you like yours as well.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I've got a Bersa Thunder 380.

It's fun round to shoot.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't fired a .380 since my wife used to carry a Sig P230. I was reminded immediately of the sharp recoil and LOUD report. Plus, it's being fired out of an 11.3 oz. platform! Dang, it don't feel like no mouse gun!

G

·
I carried the P3AT as backup for years, never a problem. Along came a distress sale on a lightly used Seecamp .32 and I grabbed it. Posted the (parkerized) P3AT for sale and it sold in short order. It was always carried in a wallet holster and the finish was pristine.
IMHO the KelTec is the best bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You did great with that Seecamp, Whompuss! Hope I fall into a deal like that sometime.

As I mentioned, I really couldn't feel any difference between the cheepo FMJ and the Winchester SXT defensive. I even tried alternating them and couldn't tell. So I will just practice with the cheepo stuff.

Despite my protestations, I am eventually going to load up some .380 (yeah, I know -- I said I hate loading itty-bitty cartridges). I have plenty of 90 and 95 gr 9mm projectiles and brass (dang -- I forgot to stash it in the recycle can!).

I can't really explain it, but I just feel weird as hell actually buying ammo. When I was at the checkout at Sportsman's Warehouse with the .380 ammo, right after I purchased the Kel Tec, I found myself looking around to see if there was anyone there who knew me.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I waited four years to get my Seecamp and it cost about $450 many years ago. Thats before Larry Seecamp geared up the CNC machines.

Its like owning a Rolex watch, all handmade and a beauty. I have a hard time carrying mine since I would hate to lose it in the event of a shooting. So I graduated to a Kel-tec 32 and then on to the Kel-tec 380 old model. I pull out the Seecamp and drool once in a while and pack it when I go to black tie events.(Joke)

The Kel-tec is so light and easy to conceal that I have settled on it as my primary carry pistol. I tried the Sig232 for a time and find it to be much more accurate but it requires a holster to carry so I settled on the Kel-tec. I put on the Sig once in a while just to be different.

Sounds like the Kel-tec is a big hit among members. Good Choice folks! :D

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I'm jealous of you fellas who can keep it on the paper at 25 yards. I just got my 1911 January 15th, (already 800 rounds through it!) and have a little bit of a tough time at further than 7 yards, where my grouping is now the size of my fist. I'm taking it to the gunsmith this weekend though, since my grouping is 5 inches off the center at that distance.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
gunrnr said:
For once, my small hands came in handy for this little pistol. I don't think you guys with big mits would be comfortable -- might think about the PF-9, instead. The trigger is comfortable but heavy enough to be safe. It needs a positive steady pull for the gun to fire. I want that in a carry pistol.
Once again, I'm right there with ya, bud.

I found out how to reverse the mag release on that S&W .40 Tactical I bought, but I can tell that it's a little too large for my delicate hands. Holding it so I can comfortably reach the trigger shifts the grip out of the web of my hand. That's why I like my Glock subcompact.

But the downside to my Glock relates to your second point. I almost always carry it OWB because of the light trigger pull. Ain't no way I'm shoving that thing down my pants, unless it's already in the holster when I do! Reholstering a Glock IWB is an adventure I'm not ready for, althgout I have practised the technique with my SOB Summer Comfort.

My OWB rig is a retainer holster that slides off of a plastic bracket that stays on my belt...the gun never comes out of the holster except for when I draw it. But it's the CCW gun I'm most accurate with because of the mitt-fit, and I'm kinda slender (got no hips) so the light weight doesn't pull my pants down when OWB.

Hopefully my new Kahr CW40 will fit the bill...a much better fit than the Smith and a heavier pull than the Glock. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, the NRA Range is always overcrowded, and my only other local range ain't safe to shoot at (no range Master, too many yahoos).

PS-The stories of Kahr mechanisms being tight out of the box are true...jeez, the tolerances are tight. I can see why I'll need to run 200+ rounds through it to loosen it up enough to reliably carry. Not a problem, as 200 rounds are just an hour at the range.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I picked up one of these this past Friday(actually, my wife was the one who wanted it). To be honest, I was a little concerned after Saturday's trip to the range. Even though the shop owner said he'd "cleaned all the factory gunk" out of it, the darn thing jammed on every single magazine.

The place we bought it is a good mom and pop type store, and the guy said that if we didn't like it, we could bring it back for a full refund, so with that comfort, I decided to take it home on Saturday night and give it a good, thorough clean and lube, myself.

Turns out that's all it needed I guess. It fired without a single problem on Sunday, and my wife turns out to be a pretty darn good shot with it! I did ok too, but I'm not ashamed to admit she outshot me (with that gun, anyway). I think she's decided on her CCW gun. -I

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With heat and sand like we have here, I use "Tri-Flow" lubricant in most of my handguns and several of my non-semi-auto rifles. Very little is required -- use too much and it does more harm than good. It doesn't let sand/dust accumulate. It did wonders for my Kel Tec's reliability. Since getting all the original oil out of the KT, I've had few, if any, FTFs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts