National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of you (Mad Scientist and Kansas45, I think) asked for a range report on this new rifle, which, by the way, my wife hasn't commented on yet, although she must have seen the bill for it, and for the ammo as well. That silence, I think, is the product of 37 yrs marriage, out of which comes the realization on her part, that I'm too old to trade in or retrain. Young men, hold on to a good woman. But back to what I think of this rifle. At 33 yds, with Ely Club, 10 rounds makes a single large pencil hole. At 50, all ten were in the 1" square bull, with 4 in the exact center. Ely match produced two jagged holes in the bull. A better marksman, like my son, will no doubt do much better. After I shoot with him in a month or so, I'll be in a position to compare ammo, something I can't do so well now with a tremor and declining eyesight. But for now, I would say that the barrel equals a dead fox at 50 yds., in the hands of this old man, assuming I have something to steady it on. As for the action, there was not one jam in over 200 rounds, and it was pleasantly tight, with nice feedback in the hand through the bolt when each little round chambered. The empty shells flew far to the right of the bench. I should mention that this rifle comes with interchangeable combs, and I had switched out to the higher one to facilitate sighting through a scope, in this case Leupold's 2x7 rimfire on low Leupold rings, which I chose for it's light weight and trim silhouette. I have also added a 1" Claw nylon sling, which I have set at maximum length. Sometimes I like to carry a twenty-two bandoleer style, upside down, in order to free both hands. Which gets me to the final point and detail of this report. I bought this rifle for hunting and trapping, so the real big question for me was, "how does it carry, and balance, and come to hand, assuming it shoots?" So I went out with the old dog through a swamp, a thicket, and over a stream, a fence, through a woods, through a field, leaped over a dangerous ditch, through one more field and back to the truck. This took one glorious afternoon under the raging blue sky of Kansas. The result was one bunny moved unharmed that the old dog had not sniffed, but which gave the old man the chance to slink around a bit, ready to shoot. Out of five stars for "how does it carry?", I give this rifle a six. It carries so sweetly, that it makes you want to go hunting. And perhaps that's why my wife hasn't brought it up, after all. She knows that neither the old dog nor I will ever do yoga, and she wants to keep me moving around, and surrounded by beauty. Its the better way to preserve an old man, by far, than denatured spirits. My summary opinion on this rifle is this: A pure gem; 100% made in America (Oh how I love that); and affordable enough to give one to each of your grandchildren, or children, or nephews or nieces. Marksmanship, after all, is the defining American virtue, in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Sounds like a hell of a rifle, how much was it again?
I might have to try n pick one up when my vacation check comes around next month lol.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,869 Posts
Very nice and informative report. Glad that you are happy with the choice that you made.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a hell of a rifle, how much was it again?
I might have to try n pick one up when my vacation check comes around next month lol.
At Cabelas, which is where I bought it, it was $299, but I have seen them online for much less, so at the low, figure $260ish, like maybe at Wallmart. Bear in mind that it does not need a scope, as the iron sights are real nice, better than on the 10/22, certainly better than on the Henry. I hefted every 22 in Cabelas (it was a slow day), and I judged it the best carry of all. Another thing I did not mention was that the quality of the bluing is way above anything else, except maybe the Henry, which is equally nice.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,939 Posts
Thanks for the report!

Another one for my want list.

I seem to be adding to the list faster than I am removing them.

Reactions: Clipper

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice and informative report. Glad that you are happy with the choice that you made.:thumbsup:
Thank you, Scrub Oak. As I look at your avatar, which I like very much, it makes me wonder if its an F-15E, which my kid flew in Iraq & Afghanistan. He's a flight instructor now in a T-38, which he says seems designed to roll during landings! I'll be taking the 22 down to Texas next time I go see him, so father & son can sneak away and go shooting. One thing about 22s is their ability to pass knowledge from one generation to the next, and the unspoken rite of passage, when a boy gets his first rifle.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,869 Posts
Thank you, Scrub Oak. As I look at your avatar, which I like very much, it makes me wonder if its an F-15E, which my kid flew in Iraq & Afghanistan. He's a flight instructor now in a T-38, which he says seems designed to roll during landings! I'll be taking the 22 down to Texas next time I go see him, so father & son can sneak away and go shooting. One thing about 22s is their ability to pass knowledge from one generation to the next, and the unspoken rite of passage, when a boy gets his first rifle.
It is a U.S. Navy F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
I recently acquired one..........but i have not extensively tested it. I was attracted to it for the adjustable trigger and that Ruger rotary magazine. I consider the rotary magazine as one of the finest trouble-free designs out there for a field gun.....also i prefer the flush fit of the 10 rd magazine.

What little shooting I have done was with the iron sights. I do appreciate the additional low comb stock insert that replaces the high comb...........makes using the irons much easier. The front sight is fiber optic. Not really thrilled about that as for me it is more distracting than help.................then again, i am not accustomed to fiber optics.......going to work with it as is for a while.

So far, i like the gun. Fits me well. Don't know if i will get around to putting glass on her. Just don't want to add the bulk to this rifle for some reason.

Reactions: Clipper

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Great report, Clipper! Thanks.
What part of Kansas do you call home?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently acquired one..........but i have not extensively tested it. I was attracted to it for the adjustable trigger and that Ruger rotary magazine. I consider the rotary magazine as one of the finest trouble-free designs out there for a field gun.....also i prefer the flush fit of the 10 rd magazine.

What little shooting I have done was with the iron sights. I do appreciate the additional low comb stock insert that replaces the high comb...........makes using the irons much easier. The front sight is fiber optic. Not really thrilled about that as for me it is more distracting than help.................then again, i am not accustomed to fiber optics.......going to work with it as is for a while.

So far, i like the gun. Fits me well. Don't know if i will get around to putting glass on her. Just don't want to add the bulk to this rifle for some reason.
I know what you mean about not adding glass, Deputy. It's a pretty sleek rifle without, and would sure carry nice. I've used fiber optics, and to me they're a big plus. I'm not totally wild about Ruger's rear sights, except on the scout rifle, which is a sturdy peep. That's a rifle I wouldn't scope for sure, and would be my next buy, if I could afford it. Anyway, I'm glad you like the American. Its a lot of rifle out of the box, for a little money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great report, Clipper! Thanks.
What part of Kansas do you call home?
Overland Park, but I hunt, fish, and shoot at the range near Hillsdale Lake in Paola. I bow hunt at Clinton, near Lawrence. Hillsdale lake is where I spend most of my time, but from time to time I get restless to explore further out. Kansas has a lot to offer.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Great------I have 4 .22 rifles-----looks like a 5th is in order. Great review---sounds like a good day.

Reactions: DPM
1 - 19 of 19 Posts