National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I (sadly) disposed of all my reloading equipment. I know. I just thought I was done at the time. One thing that went was an RCBS vibratory case cleaner. The only thing I didn't like was it was LOUD. I SAID LOUD.

So now I'm resupplying. I want a case cleaner that is inexpensive (<$100), effective, and quiet. Wet tumblers are not in consideration. Generally, rotary tumblers are either out of the price range or 90 day wonders. So I'm pretty much shopping vibratory cleaners (I just can't call them "tumblers"). Which brings us to a two part question:

a. any suggestions as to the quietest vibratory cleaner that meets the parameters? and
b. if not, has anybody had success with noise suppressors (not "silencers")? I'm thinking encasing the cleaner; adding cheap pillows, towels, etc. I understand adding some type of mat to limit walking ...

As usual, I guess there is "inexpensive, effective and quiet. Pick any two."

-jb, not wanting to lose sleep

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, $10 fan at walmart, but you should have 1 already.

$5 towel at Walmart, and my wife always has old dead towels for such things.

$10 steel pins on eBay.

$50 or $60 tumbler at harbor freight for single or double

$5 for Dawn, but your wife probably already has Dawn also.

Lemi Shine is $5 for a small bottle at Walmart.

So $85 for single, $95 for double if you had nothing. Most people have a lot of this stuff already so it is $65 or $75. But, if you hit the Harbor Freight sales I picked up a new double after my son "relocated" it to his place for $35, and the single was $30. At that rate you could have both tumblers, and new everything else for $100. And that was for 5 pounds of pins. And each tumbler bowel only needs 1 pound.

As for 90 day wonders, yes I only process brass every 2 or 3 months, and I get,5 to 10 years out of them. So, yeah, not super long lasting.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the humor if you will:
Tom Hanks in A Field Of Their Own: "There's No crying in baseball!"
JB in reloading: "There's no water in reloading!" 😄

As I said, wet tumblers are not a consideration. Just ol' hard headed, stubborn me.
But maybe I should consider the Harbor Freight tumblers. Are they particularly quiet? That's my elusive goal.

Thank you, rswink ;)

-jb

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't hear them in the next room like my vibratory tumbler. My wife had kicked it to the garage and even then she wanted it running while she was at work. I am in my office in the house and with the door closed she says it is barely noticeable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,776 Posts
Set yer vibratory polishing tumbler on a double, triple or quadruple folded towel on yer garage/basement floor or concrete patio so it doesn't "wander". The towel helps dampen some noise from the base of my Lyman Tumbler/Polisher contacting the floor.

·
Live Free
2,941 Posts
My old Thumler vibratory tumbler sits on a piece (scrap) of carpet padding (like a soft rubber mat) and if I am going to be working in the shop close by, I put a cardboard box upside down over it to mute the noise.
Vibratory tumblers are inherently noisy...

·
Super Moderator
14,309 Posts
I have an RCBS and a Dillon. They’re in the shop 75 yards from the house. There’s usually so much other noise going on out there that no one complains about the tumbler noise.

when I first got the RCBS years ago, she said, “What is that (irritating) noise?” I said, “It’s some of my reloading equipment that makes reloading safer”. Never heard another word about it.

Alan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Berry's makes a relatively small tumbler for around $50. I picked one up from Natchez (ignore spelling) a few months ago. It is very quiet, but is not large capacity. As I recall around 400 - 9mm cases or equivalent. May be what you are looking for.

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Got one of these that sit in the basement. I can tell that it’s running down there but just barely.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's comments.
Philmo, I ordered that model.
I'll report back my comments after I've run it for a while.

-jb

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Thanks for everyone's comments.
Philmo, I ordered that model.
I'll report back my comments after I've run it for a while.

-jb
Go to the hardware store and get about a 6” length of clear tubing to slip over the threaded stud in the center of the bowl. It’ll protect the brass from the threads.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I run my thumbler outside to isolate the noise and keep the dust and any toxins outside.

·
Aim true !
10,494 Posts
I put part of a plastic pop bottle in my franklin tumbler. The lid i drilled a hole in to thread it over the aw thread rod. Got the idea from how my Lyman turbo tumbler is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sifted through all the comments and suggestions here and elsewhere. I chose the Frankfort Arsenal unit. $49.99 w/free shipping. It showed up today. 5 minute "assembly/setup." The bowl assembly is separated from the motor by pretty stout springs. The cleaning media won't be here until Wednesday. Regardless, I powered it up for a few moments. Best description I can think of is a low, very quiet hum. Light years better than the old RCBS I had many years ago. Clearly this will operate on the garage floor sitting on an old bath rug, and we'll never notice it inside the house. If it cleans well, I will have achieved three goals: functional, inexpensive, quiet.

Thanks for all the responses!

-jb, heading out for some plastic tubing

·
Registered
102 Posts
I always found Vibratory tumblers were 90 day wonders as they put a lot of strain on the motor. My Thumler's Tumbler has been working quietly for several decades.
Cleaning media: 20/40 corn for 30 minutes.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,527 Posts
If the noise is still an issue, get some acoustic tiles and build a box to cover the tumbler.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
noylj, I used to think so. That old RCBS served me well for many years. It was just LOUD :-(

Scientist, I had the idea to deaden the sound. Others suggested it would restrict air flow and toast the motor. Regardless, the new FA showed up and is a low hum. It may be a winner.

-jb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts