National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a close friend bought a used "scary black rifle" (a DPMS AR chambered in .223/.556) And I'm wondering about you're guys' opinions on the quality, toughness and reliability of the DPMS products and if there's anything better, or if there all pretty much alike. Thanks.

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
It would depend on what model of DMPS you would be compairing.

·
Salmon Slayer
557 Posts
IMHO they are a mass produced entry level EBR.
Back in the day Bushmasters we’re entry level AR’s, I’ve still got mine and have put thousands of rounds through it, it’s still going strong.

Reactions: GRBOU812

·
Registered
124 Posts
Many years ago I went with an entry level AR: the S&W MP15 Sport (1st Model). Around $450 if I recall. I was derided as it didn't have a dust cover (I've not taken it to the sand box), nor a forward assist (I've never had a failure to chamber, whether in a combat situation or other), blada blada. It has served me well and I have served/maintained it well. Back to the OP question:
I'm kinda with Caveman Jim: depending upon use (IPSC/3 gun match, match accuracy, plinking, home defense, etc etc), "you get what you pay for" in most Barbie rifles. "Toughness etc" ... are you going to launch 10,000 rounds a year? Reliability? I don't own it but I'd bet it go bang every trigger press. Anything better? Oh sure! "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
Guessing you get the clue by now, pick your purpose, and pay accordingly.

-jb, willing to go AR lite for my uses

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
I have two entry level AR’s and they are just fine for my needs. I have the S&W M&P without the dust cover and forward assist. Never missed them. The other is a Bear Creek Arsenal and it’s been very reliable and great to shoot. Both are very accurate and dependable. Am I shooting 700 yards at a bottle cap? No. Will I be? No. Can I put every round into what I want at 200 yards? You bet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many years ago I went with an entry level AR: the S&W MP15 Sport (1st Model). Around $450 if I recall. I was derided as it didn't have a dust cover (I've not taken it to the sand box), nor a forward assist (I've never had a failure to chamber, whether in a combat situation or other), blada blada. It has served me well and I have served/maintained it well. Back to the OP question:
I'm kinda with Caveman Jim: depending upon use (IPSC/3 gun match, match accuracy, plinking, home defense, etc etc), "you get what you pay for" in most Barbie rifles. "Toughness etc" ... are you going to launch 10,000 rounds a year? Reliability? I don't own it but I'd bet it go bang every trigger press. Anything better? Oh sure! "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
Guessing you get the clue by now, pick your purpose, and pay accordingly.

-jb, willing to go AR lite for my uses
You're answers where good, Jeff, but maybe I should have been more specific. Is there anything better for the same or similar price? lets say 600 dollars. And no, probably not burning 10,000 rounds a year. I understand that with most rifles in the modern world its pretty much going to work every time, and won't be being dragged though the sand box or mud, I supposed it'll be fine. Thanks again.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
Is there anything better for the same or similar price? lets say 600 dollars.
The short answer is, No. DPMS makes a rock solid AR. For example they designed the LR-308, which accounts for 80% of the "AR-10" pattern rifles. The actual ArmaLite AR-10 accounts for only a small percentage of them. DPMS started out making military weapons for US military contracts and evolved into offering civilian arms. Hence the name Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts