National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did Savage quit making this American classic back in 1998 after a run of nearly 100 years? Other classic lever-actions still flourish in production as Marlin, Winchester, Henry and Sharps. Is the cowboy action craze keeping all those hammer lever jobs still in business? The Browning lever jobs look more or less the same as all the other cowboy guns mentioned above.

The famous Savage Model 99 is one special lever job of all time though. She is a real beautiful gun gone from production which is a crying shame. She had a smooth, sleek rounded profile. No exposed hammer or magazine tube. She could fire those racy fast-stepping spitzer bullets and put many a bolt-action to shame in sub-MOA accuracy. That rotary fixed magazine with loaded shell indicator was exclusive. Arthur Savage of radial tire fame was a total genius of automobile vulcanization and the king of high velocity deer-killing ballistics.

My grandfather had a 99 in .300 Savage sans checkering in a straight stock. The 99 also came in checkered pistol-grip stocks as well. This Savage has to be the most classic of all American deer hunting guns. Bolt-action rifles began their history in Europe while the lever job is a genuine American icon. The 99 was a regular game-getting workhorse. The AR craze and the racy "California Monte-Carlo" bolt-action craze might have been the death of Ol' 99. Sadly, I lost grandpa's 99 in a home burglary in 1999.

I would like to eventually own a 99 with checkered pistol grip in mint condition if I could find one. I might also have a gunsmith restore one to her original glory. That would be the most fun gun ever to hunt deer. I would like that gun in .243 especially. Hunting or shooting a sharp Savage 99 in all-original condition would like riding a classic Harley-Davidson Panhead or a driving a cherry '57 Chevy.

Any good tips on shopping for a Model 99?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
last time i was in the Austin area, the Cabela's store had two 99's on the used racks.....both probably in the 80% condition range.....

to do any better, then its places like gunbroker.com

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
here's 127 for sale:

Reactions: deputy

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's 127 for sale:
I found one, 1997 model, mint in box listed there for nearly $1,800. I would prefer to buy my guns, new, used, preowned, in person, where I can inspect up close before committing to purchase. C Caveat: most mail-order/online-order firearms are non-refundable and non-returnable. Certainly, a nice or restorable one will show up sooner or later at gun shops in the major cities of Texas. Savage made over 1 million of these babies from 1899 through 1998. Real sharp ones in nice shape may command a pretty penny. Some had fancy options like engraving and high-grade finishes and checkering and those are those "good-used-car priced" 99's. I would just want a nice plain one to have a fun gun for hunting. I don't really want to spend more than $1,000 for a plain one in nice shape.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I found one, 1997 model, mint in box listed there for nearly $1,800. I would prefer to buy my guns, new, used, preowned, in person, where I can inspect up close before committing to purchase. C Caveat: most mail-order/online-order firearms are non-refundable and non-returnable. Certainly, a nice or restorable one will show up sooner or later at gun shops in the major cities of Texas. Savage made over 1 million of these babies from 1899 through 1998. Real sharp ones in nice shape may command a pretty penny. Some had fancy options like engraving and high-grade finishes and checkering and those are those "good-used-car priced" 99's. I would just want a nice plain one to have a fun gun for hunting. I don't really want to spend more than $1,000 for a plain one in nice shape.
Not my experience from reputable dealers which most of these guys are being brick and mortar stores. Most give you a 3 -day period for inspection with the ability to return for a refund (minus shipping)

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I can't help but notice the same Casio that once belonged to hop a long.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
i generally do not like the late model 99's as they went to a detachable mag..........i generally dislike detachable mags in hunting rifles.

do not know what year the model was made......but my previous 99 had what appeared to be an aluminum alloy spool instead of brass....no shell counter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts