National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are modern guns as we know them today.

1. When was the first American lever-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date? (As far as I know, the lever-action rifle was an American invention while the bolt-action rifle was a European invention.)

2. When was the first American bolt-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date?

3. What is the year, model, patent date and caliber for the first bolt-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle for each the following American companies where applicable:

-Remington
-Marlin
-Browning
-Winchester
-Ruger
-Savage
-Colt
-Weatherby

4. When was the first American semi-automatic repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date?

5. When was the first American pump-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am quite sure Google or whatever browser you happen to be using can help you with your plethora of questions...
I'm sure they might be able to but then again, why do we have forums as this one?

OK, I will attempt to use Google for research and see what I come up with:

Q: 1. When was the first American lever-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date? (As far as I know, the lever-action rifle was an American invention while the bolt-action rifle was a European invention.)

A: Winchester Model 1894, designed by John Browning in 1894, produced by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, the first rifle to chamber the smokeless powder round, the .30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire, in time becoming known as the .30-30) in 1895, patent date unknown

Source: Winchester Model 1894 - Wikipedia.

Q: 2. When was the first American bolt-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date?

A: unable to find answer

Q: 3. What is the year, model, patent date and caliber for the first bolt-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle for each the following American companies where applicable:

-Remington
-Marlin
-Browning
-Winchester
-Ruger
-Savage
-Colt
-Weatherby

Q: 4. When was the first American semi-automatic repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date?

A: ?? Winchester Model 1903, In 1903 and 1905, the Winchester Repeating Arms Company introduced the first low-power blowback (non-gas operated) semi-automatic rimfire and centerfire rifles. The Winchester Model 1903 and Winchester Model 1905 operated on the principle of blowback to function semi-automatically. Designed by T.C. Johnson, the Model 1903 achieved commercial success and continued to be manufactured until 1932, when the Winchester Model 63 replaced it.

Source: Semi-automatic rifle - Wikipedia.

Q: 5. When was the first American pump-action repeating smokeless cartridge rifle made for commercial sale, what was it, what company produced it and who invented it? What caliber was it in? What is the first patent date?

A: ?? Winchester Model 1890, In the late 1880s, the Winchester Repeating Arms Company asked John Browning to design a replacement for the Model 1873 rifle, since the rim fire version of the Model 1873 had never achieved any great popularity. On June 26, 1888, a patent for the new design was issued to John and Matthew Browning.Under this patent, Winchester created the second repeating slide action .22 rifle ever successfully developed and manufactured, being narrowly edged out by the Colt Lightning small frame carbine. Fired various .22 rimfire cartridges.

Source: Winchester Model 1890 - Wikipedia

Note: the Colt Lightning Carbine, 1884, was the first pump rifle but it used BP cartridges

If any other members have some info to add, please do!! :D

I created this thread because America is a nation with a long, proud history of riflemen.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
the individual answers presented as an info piece would make a good blog article.....or a gun rag article.......or just a good info submit on a gun forum about a specific model/caliber/make.......a glance back at history to share...

but the bulk questions requiring bulk answers.....when the answers can be easily researched........reminds me of the teacher/student format.....not going to play that game and too dang old to be tested by teachers.......

·
Aim true !
10,073 Posts
We get post often asking us to do others homework. It gets old.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Back in those days it was a literal race in arms development. Some of the answers maybe easy to find while others may be difficult to pinpoint because so many large and small gun makers(and individuals) were all trying to do the same thing and produced similar products around the same time. Going from cap and ball black powder type guns to paper cartridges, brass cartridges, to smokeless to semi and full auto guns was all done in a relatively short time frame. 40 or so years of development covers most if not all of everything i listed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts