Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the proper points of aim for the following:

-whitetail doe
-mule doe
-coyote
-red fox

Is there a good book that explains proper rifle marksmanship for hunters with pictures and diagrams?

My goal as the hunter is to always strive to bring the animal down humanely without comprising the value of the fur or the quality of the meat.
This is accomplished by proper technique, good shooting skills, proper presentation of quarry for a good shot, limiting range and other considerations as
weather, lighting conditions, terrain, back stop and cover. One must also consider guns, loads, sights, calls and other equipment.

I also need to learn how to estimate range correctly.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
SIMPLE - Know your marksmanship limitations, buy a range finder and aim for the heart. Take ONLY shots you know you can make.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
On deer I like to go for a neck shot if possible, else a heart shot. I don't do snap shots and won't use less than a 100 gn. bullet. On coyotes I use a 223 and take whatever they give me. Foxes are protected in Florida so they get to walk. I actually have a book detailing the best kill shots. Best advise is become very comfortable with your rifle and make sure the optics are secured, lose scope mounts have ruined many a hunt. One thing to remember is deer have the ability to run a long way with a hole in their heart so always go look.

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
Also want to add after you shoot a deer. Wait 30 mins before you start to look for it. This gives it time to die. And hopefully cut down on how far it runs. If you start looking right away it can keep running for awhile. My deer i shot in archery. I found about a 100 yards away.

Reactions: Win94ae

·
Registered
79 Posts
Learn to shoot in all shooting positions. 75% of my deer were taken from a kneeling position, most of the others were off a fence post or tree. So I use all positions, I even have a fence post to practice with.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also want to add after you shoot a deer. Wait 30 mins before you start to look for it. This gives it time to die. And hopefully cut down on how far it runs. If you start looking right away it can keep running for awhile. My deer i shot in archery. I found about a 100 yards away.
My first deer was shot at 100 yards. It was a scoped quartering-toward shot in the prone but aimed behind the shoulder in error. I read in hunting articles to aim behind the shoulder but found out later that's for broadside only. My guide thought I missed clean when the deer bolted to the bang of my gun. I wondered if my gun even had blanks in it. Blood sign revealed otherwise then it was a 25-minute hike to find the carcass lying in a small hill-side depression 1/2 mile away.

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
I had a deer i hit with the bow. We probably tracked it for a mile. It went up the mountain, Then circled back down the mountain. It was laying in the woods below where i shot it. Never know what the buggers will do.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a deer i hit with the bow. We probably tracked it for a mile. It went up the mountain, Then circled back down the mountain. It was laying in the woods below where i shot it. Never know what the buggers will do.
On a broadside shot, it is often said to hit just behind the shoulder. This video says to hit right on the shoulder bone for Hydro Shock to work with Berger bullets:

Tree stand is at an elevation, so the shot has to be placed higher on the body than at ground-level shooting.

The key is to visualize where the heart and lungs are in the animal for the given angle viewed.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I shot a doe with my 50 cal BP. The shot hit her in the lower left shoulder and passed through to the right shoulder. Broke both front legs. She ran 75 yards into some very thick underbrush. Had to craw on my hands and knees to find her. I'll stick with the neck shots. They go right down like this guy;

20200104_094621.jpg

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
I watched a deer run a 100yds or so across a field and uphill into the woods after my uncle shot it with a 300wby mag. When we got to it the heart and lungs were essentially jelly that was mostly hanging outside of the body. I could never understand how animals can run like that with vital organs blow to bits and hanging outside the body, i stub my pinky toe and i'm usually down for the count. I always made shoulder or behind the shoulder shots but i never hunted a whole lot when i did. One of my brothers used to make a lot of head or neck shots but they were generally close range like 50-75 yds. He did a lot of thick brush hunting in swamps and many times those were the only shots he could get too.

As far as ethic kills i feel that can go out the window when it comes to nuisance animals or one that destroy crops like pigs and coyotes.

Reactions: Win94ae

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
....+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts