National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting started with reloading.

I purchased a Lee 90388 38 SPL bullet die for casting my own rounds. I also got a really good deal on a few hundred 38 cal bullets from a pawn shop. (125gr) The boxes are marked with 9mm luger, 380 auto, 357 and more.

Would I be able to use these bullets as is to load 9 and 380? Would I need a bullet sizer die of some sort to make sure they are the right dimensions? (Calipers show 9mm diameter and 14.8mm bullet length for both round and flat nose)

Boxes of 100 were $10, if theyll work I'll go back and get a bunch more! I haven't cast any bullets using the die yet but I assume they'd be the same.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Oh boy be careful. I wouldn't load .357 and .358 in a 9mm or 380. And you may get leading in your 38 special if you load .356 or .355 cast boolets in it. But..... I have loaded .356 cast in 38 special and 357 mag. And had no issues and minute of beer can at 25 yards accuracy. Out of a Taurus tracker 6.5 inch barrel. It was an experiment. I don't cast my own. They are cheap enough when you buy a few thousand boolets at a time. From places like SNS casting and Bayou bullets. Missouri bullet Co i also buy from too. For what i can't get from the other 2. And for copper plated i like Accura outdoors and Berrys. BTW. Boolets is a term for cast.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy be careful. I wouldn't load .357 and .358 in a 9mm or 380. And you may get leading in your 38 special if you load .356 or .355 cast boolets in it. But..... I have loaded .356 cast in 38 special and 357 mag. And had no issues and minute of beer can at 25 yards accuracy. Out of a Taurus tracker 6.5 inch barrel. It was an experiment. I don't cast my own. They are cheap enough when you buy a few thousand boolets at a time. From places like SNS casting and Bayou bullets. Missouri bullet Co i also buy from too. For what i can't get from the other 2. And for copper plated i like Accura outdoors and Berrys. BTW. Boolets is a term for cast.
So I guess I don't get what the difference is if they're the same diameter. Couldn't I account for the weight with the powder and be fine? Is it a very very fine difference in the diameter that perhaps I can't measure accurately?

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some more research, the box was marked with a number which turned out to be the mold number. Here's the link

Says it's for 9mm but is .359...I'm confused now. A review says once it was coated it worked fine in his 9 (though I understand models of guns can vary greatly) after he coated it. The bullets I bought are definitely coated in something like wax

· Registered
4,400 Posts
Questions are fine that's what's discussed on forums like this. Right now you don't know what you don't know and don't know all the right questions to ask.

It appears you are lacking basic, very basic knowledge that you really should know like what a lubed bullet is. Yes, most are lubed with what looks like wax. Yes you can use a 125gr 0.359" bullet that you can size (and lube) for 38/357. 10¢ a bullet is not cheap they get cheaper in 1,000 lot quantities.

You are starting to enter into areas where you can get hurt and imperil others or at the very least run into problems and get frustrated. You need to get a hold of basic comprehensive tutorials and digest all that information. Ask questions along the way to fill in the gaps or help explain areas that aren't making sense to you. Shooting, loading your own or even casting can all be very enjoyable and satisfying activities that over time can save you money. They can also be hazardous activites to hardware and human-ware if done improperly.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Please see here. Even things can go haywire after one is more experienced.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please see here. Even things can go haywire after one is more experienced.
Yes I definitely think I need to read/watch more before buying or doing much else

· Registered
17,521 Posts
38/357 are the same diameter and are different from 9mm/.380
38/357 are .357 for jacketed and .358 for cast
9mm/.380 are .355 for jacketed and .356 for cast
Bullet weights and designs are also a factor but there many that are the same.
yes 1 or 2 thousands can make a big difference in accuracy, leading or high pressure depending on if you're using one that's too big or too small for the bore.
With that said there are a few guns made to shoot 357 and 9mm but the bores are the bigger 357 size and sometimes accuracy can suffer when shooting a smaller 9mm bullet. Or leading if shooting cast bullets.
In other words use the proper bullet designed for the caliber you are loading both the diameter and weight. You also need to use the proper charge for that particular bullet too. If you use a proper charge for a caliber but the wrong bullet you'll either get squibs or dangerously high power loads that can cause damage or injury. There are also some load for certain caliber that can't be used in some guns. For example if you load a +p load and run it in a gun that isnt marked +p you can possibly blow the gun up.

Reactions: Coalcracker

· Registered
17,521 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.