National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, short length revolvers are supposed to be inaccurate, cute and ineffective, hard to shoot with high recoil, and pocket sized but not ideal for home defense or most shooting.

With that being said, is any of the mentioned -- or all of it-- true? Untrue? If true, why? Not true, why not?

Can any short length revolvers be of good use? Accurate? Good for home defense? Conceal carry?

Shooting of any sort? Under which circumstances can they be good? Which makes and models are good?

Which makes and models are bad?

·
Aim true !
9,503 Posts
Ford,Chevy,or Dodge? Honda,Toyota, or Nissan? I don't know you tell me? We answered your other post you never responded.
:popcorn2:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Carried a S&W model 10 2" for nearly 40 years. Wish I never sold it. It was heavy to carry but not to bad in a shoulder holster. It's a close gun which any carry firearm is. It's as good as the user. Practice, Practice, Practice and then Practice some more. If I were to move back to a revolver, it would be a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed mag (light recoil good penetration).

·
Live Free
2,629 Posts
Lots of people still trust and carry snubbies. They are effective to the degree that they were intended. Yes, some can be quite a handful. A little reading will provide insight; internet is full of good info on the subject. Read up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Carried a S&W model 10 2" for nearly 40 years. Wish I never sold it. It was heavy to carry but not to bad in a shoulder holster. It's a close gun which any carry firearm is. It's as good as the user. Practice, Practice, Practice and then Practice some more. If I were to move back to a revolver, it would be a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed mag (light recoil good penetration).
+1

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They are intended to mostly shoot within 15yds for self protection so yes they work well for that. With that said most of the ones i have fired either shoot high or low so like with any gun you carry you should know where it shoots and practice with it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a S&W model 37 Airweight .38 and it was a great carry gun but a mean little bugger to shoot. I put some oversized grips on it and that helped a lot but I ended up selling/trading it for a model 64-5 with a 4" barrel for my bedroom gun. Much happier.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Carry a S&W Airweight snubbie .38 in an ankle holster at work and as a backup boot gun.
It does the job it was intended to do. Weapon of last resort at close range.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Revolvers are passe for defensive carry right now more for "only" five or six shots rather than the ten or twelve convulsive janks available in semi-autos. Yeah, that's a bit harsh, but too many have expressed the sentiment to me, avoiding the exact words.

Defense hand guns are intended to operate at 'defensive' ranges; likely within fifteen yards. Most handguns - including 'snubbies' - will provide that much accuracy. However, getting proper hits requires proper sight alignment and sight picture. The technique of closing one's eyes and repeatedly yanking the trigger in the perceived general direction of the threat. (Yeah, I'm being harsh again.)

I would suggest that any two or three inch (two inches seem to be more common and available) in .38 Special caliber and proper ammunition (not always the noisiest and worst recoil) will do fine. "Proper ammunition" is a whole other discussion, but is essentially a flat front and not depressed velocities.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There's a little confusion, caused by inexperienced users, and the manufacturers, themselves.

First, snubbies are lightweight, in general. Some, like the S&W Airweight, are purposely made even lighter. Between the weight, and the length of the barrel, you will be dealing with a comparitively large amount of recoil, muzzle flip, noise, and muzzle blast, in contrast to larger pistols.

One big reason is the manufacturer usually vends the snubnose with tatty, hard, little "boot grips", which are as small as they can get away with. When you can only hold the gun with two fingers, it may be a little painful to shoot.

Put a larger set of grips on the same pistol, from Hogue, Altamont, or another good grip maker, and it can change the comfort experience entirely. Snubnoses are accurate enough for home defense, if you practice with them adequately.

OTOH, it would be foolish to expect the kind of accuracy from a snubnose which you see in T.V. cop shows. It's also good to remember a snubbie is a tool for self defense, it's not a recreational range gun. Not the type pistol you take to the range weekly, and try to shoot progressively tighter groups with.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Okay, short length revolvers are supposed to be inaccurate, cute and ineffective, hard to shoot with high recoil, and pocket sized but not ideal for home defense or most shooting.

With that being said, is any of the mentioned -- or all of it-- true? Untrue? If true, why? Not true, why not?

Can any short length revolvers be of good use? Accurate? Good for home defense? Conceal carry?

Shooting of any sort? Under which circumstances can they be good? Which makes and models are good?

Please watch my shooting at 30 feet with my LCR

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Get a snub nosed shotgun. Not much good on geese but a 5 yards they’ll blow a nice 5” hole in a bad guy. Get it?
I have the Mossberg Shockwave

·
Registered
648 Posts

As someone that has been shooting for some 60+ years now, let me make the following statement:

If your main purpose is self defense, the normal shooting situation is going to be very close and a short barreled gun is fine for that. Short barrels are not accurate over long distances normally. However, note that many short barreled guns are light weight and a .38 P+ round and above can kick pretty good. I once had/carried a Ruger SP101 snubnose stainless steel in .357 mag and it kicked pretty good too. I now carry an H&K VP9 with LE grade ammo in it. More ammo than a revolver. A short barreled ..38 will conceal very nicely. Note that many 9 MM semis are about the same size today and hold more ammo too.
I have helped people in the past unfamillar with guns get used to shooting them and I always told them to practice hitting a man sized tartget from the hip at rougly 15-20'. If after practice you can do that you will have no problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
Accuracy is mostly up to the shooter. People making good shots on target with a snub nose might not be the norm for others. Practice is the key. There are many short barreled revolvers out there all in different weights, lengths (under 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 - 2 3/4), and material. Are they accurate? Yes, for the most part. These were not made to be target guns shooting 100 yards. Their for up close within 30 to 40 feet and 40 feet imo is pushing it for accuracy. Know your limit and distance to shoot accurately with the snub nose. Caliber plays another important roll with recoil and accuracy. All depends if you can handle the caliber in a short barrel. Theyre great for home defense and carrying though your rounds are limited. This is open for another thread topic whether 5 or 6 or 7 rounds is enough.

"
Shooting of any sort? Under which circumstances can they be good?" Explain. Good revolver to look to would be old S$W's would be very good to find, old Ruger Security series of pistols would be very good, new S$W's, and there's a bunch of new Rugers (which I would love to own myself) to pick from. When I say new I'm talking you can purchase them factory new such with they're still being made today. I would stay with these two when looking for a revolver.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Accuracy?
I once watched a professional shooter hit five 8" pie plates in a row at 300 yds. He used an old S&W M60 with a 1.875" barrel chambered in .38 Special. The gun can do it. Can you?

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
I'm sure the firearm can, its just the person shooting which is what I was trying to get at. 300 yards with an under 2" barrel is impressive. The dedication and practice it took to get that good is sbove n beyond what the most people will do or have time for. The accuracy like I mentioned is mostly the part of the shooter. 40' for most is pushing it especially doing it in double action. Heck I've seen lots of people miss the paper totally within 20', single action, and the target was a 100 yard target. Snub nose revolvers need to be practice with, least to a point where the people carrying them r good enough to hit the target. Then practice more. Not trying to scare the guy away from snub nose revolvers, just letting him know its mostly the person shooting it n not fault of the revolvers inadequacy.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Popeye is correct, it's the shooter and may I point out that most CC Carry pieces, autos and revolvers have barrels 2 to 3 inches. Yes there are some who prefer the big iron but they are a bit harder to conceal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts