National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, backstory on my self: I'm a 19 year old living on my own in an Apartment, I work for an Electrical company in Michigan.

I was starting to gain an interest in firearms and was curious about getting my own handgun. There is a range within 15-20 minute drive from me.

However in Michigan you need to be 21 years old to purchase a handgun through a federally licensed seller. Or 18+ if purchasing through a private seller.
My direct family is bit far left in terms of Gun Control and don't believe in the use of them other than law enforcement.
So they have declined to help me acquire a handgun (I was willing to pay in full, just would need it transferred into my name)

So my question being, how would I go about purchasing a handgun for my self if my family does not feel comfortable with helping me?

My uncle has taken me to the range with the same handgun I am trying to get, and has taught me to strip and clean it, along with a Gun Safety Training course on it. (Walther Pk 380)
However he risks my parents not speaking to him if he were to help me get one, and I'm not trying to do that to him.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You're not far off from being 21 yourself, so waiting for a handgun purchase is probably your best bet. If you really want something now, then you may be able to get a long gun (rifle or shotgun) for yourself.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
In a country where the constitution says the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And in a liberal governed country like Canada you need to be only 18

Where is the world going

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wait. In the meanwhile, buy a decent air-pistol, like a Crosman 1377 for $60. plus a pellet trap. From it, you will learn the basics, and you'll have a great "head-start" for your future gun. I shoot my air pistol a few times each week in my basement even thought I belong to a nearby gun club. BTW, I own 4 "real" handguns.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Air gun shooting in your basement is as much fun as going to the range... well let's just say I just wish I had a basement real range lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's not just Michigan---21 to buy a handgun from a FFL is Federal law. Your options are wait 2 years or find a gun you want from a private seller.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Or black powder for now.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
701 Posts
It's not just Michigan---21 to buy a handgun from a FFL is Federal law. Your options are wait 2 years or find a gun you want from a private seller.
And when he does this he will be breaking the Law as well as the seller. Minor in possession of a firearm and the seller for selling to a minor.

Black powder is fun but not the same as a semi auto pistol. WAIT !!! until legal to buy or lose gun rights for the rest of your life WAIT !!! Don't take the chance of getting caught being illegal.

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
DO NOT recommend illegal activities on this forum.

--Wag--

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
DO NOT recommend illegal activities on this forum.

--Wag--

I don't think he did according to this. As long as this info is correct.

At the age of 18 or up, it is legal to buy a pistol with a purchase license from a private seller, at the age of 21, it is legal to buy a firearm from a Federally licensed (FFL) dealer. No purchase license is required to purchase a long gun (a firearm that is more than 26 inches long) in Michigan. According to state law, a long gun may be purchased by anyone aged 18 or over who is not subject to restrictions based on criminal history, mental health history, or other disqualifying factor. A person must be at least 18 years old to purchase a long gun from a federal dealer or a private seller under Michigan law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Michigan

·
Registered
700 Posts
Pretty much the same in Texas. In Texas, it is perfectly legal for an 18 year old to purchase a handgun through a private sale. Ammo as well. They can even have it in a vehicle same as any adult as long as they follow all other laws and are not otherwise restricted from firearm ownership. There are several States where this is legal.
The age restriction for 21 is a federal thing to purchase from an FFL dealer.

In quite a few states, if you are an adult, you are an adult. Not part time or almost adult. I quite often wonder why that point has not gone before SCOTUS yet.
You are either a responsible adult or you are not. I know people that could live to 1000 and I still would not trust them with a squirt gun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, you're 19, so let's see, you can't buy booze, you can't buy cigarettes, can't buy a gun.

OH, you CAN join the Armed Forces, and get killed in a foreign combat zone. So, if you want, you can die, in a third world ****-hole.

NOW, are your elected representatives, and the decisions they make, starting to piss you off, yet ?

Because you ARE old enough to vote . . .

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
BillM, my sincere apologies. You were not incorrect. I have no idea where my head was.

From the BATFE web site:

An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same State, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.
That doesn't preclude state laws, of course, but that would be the responsibility of the buyer to know that information.

--Wag--

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
This isn't really an issue. You just can't buy it from a store. Hop on Armslist and get whatever you wish. There's no reason you cannot buy or own a handgun legally. Many sellers want to see your carry license when selling on Armslist so there maybe an issue with certain sellers, but that's their own rules for selling their weapons. I've never been asked by anyone to show mine, but it's typical to see that request in ads. I'd suggest buying a 22 like an M&P compact or a Ruger mark iii or iv to practice and get your license with since they are very good shooters and ammo is only 3 cents a round. A lot of people take their test with them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
BillM, my sincere apologies. You were not incorrect. I have no idea where my head was.

From the BATFE web site:

That doesn't preclude state laws, of course, but that would be the responsibility of the buyer to know that information.

--Wag--
Wag--I DID check before posting, state laws being the mess they are. Would never intentionally recommend an illegal act. Thanks for the apology--accepted.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
This isn't really an issue. You just can't buy it from a store. Hop on Armslist and get whatever you wish. There's no reason you cannot buy or own a handgun legally. Many sellers want to see your carry license when selling on Armslist so there maybe an issue with certain sellers, but that's their own rules for selling their weapons. I've never been asked by anyone to show mine, but it's typical to see that request in ads. I'd suggest buying a 22 like an M&P compact or a Ruger mark iii or iv to practice and get your license with since they are very good shooters and ammo is only 3 cents a round. A lot of people take their test with them.

From what i read and posted above about MI law is you need a purchase coupon/license before doing a private sale under the age of 21. You get them from the police but i didn't see where it said what agency if it was local, sheriff or state. Like you said depending on the seller this may work with some while others may not want to but it is a type of license sort of. It didn't mention anything about denials and i don't know if it's a shall or may issue either.

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
Wag--I DID check before posting, state laws being the mess they are. Would never intentionally recommend an illegal act. Thanks for the apology--accepted.
Much appreciated, my friend. Sometimes, I just need to hang up the keyboard and shut the eff up.

--Wag--

1 - 20 of 23 Posts