National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question to pose. I live in MN.

The question is:

If someone threatens to go home and get their gun and come back and shoot you. Where they actually own a gun that you don't know about.

What crime have they just committed?

Personally I would think that gun owners who make death threats to use their guns would have greater weight in the level of crime. Because they actually have the capability at hand to actually carry out the death threat.

I had this death threat made to me because I am a person with hidden disabilities who has a legal disability parking tag. Another person who claimed to be bipolar said I was faking and that I was an abuser of the system etc and that I should be shot.. And threatened to go home to get his gun and come back to shoot me. As he was driving away he was mimicking pointing a hand gun at me and shooting.

my only crime was telling another driver who did not have the legal right to park in the disability space I needed . Even when I have my authentic tag in hand and 2 custom stickers on external doors to indicate I have possession of disability tag for when my windows are frozen over.

I have already reported to police they won't do anything because there are no witnesses. And more importantly they themselves did not see or hear it.

Thoughts?

·
Aim true !
12,465 Posts
I think it falls under terroristic threats. I would just brush it off. He was just a hot head.

Reactions: Russ D

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it falls under terroristic threats. I would just brush it off. He was just a hot head.
I did not add the whole interactions with this person. Just that one altercation because it was face to face where a death threat by use of fire arm was involved.

No I had another altercation with this person Who at the time I did not know it was him.

He left a nasty note on my van outside the library months prior. About being an abuser of the system. Which I assure you I am NOT. I did not know who left it. I only found out after the fact due to how the interaction went down over the death threat. I figured it out that he was the one who left the nasty note on my van based on language pattern. He used word for word what was on the note. Minus the death threat.

People like this are known to kill people like me, its happened many times before. This has to do with prejudices regarding disabilities. where other people think people with disabilities must behave a particular way or they are abusers of the system etc if they don't. And that our lives are worthless and must be erased from this earth.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would seek a restraining order against him. It will not keep you safe by itself. Restraining orders are a joke. But if you have a restraining order against him, it provides you documentation and if you have to shoot him, you are on more solid legal footing. Also, you might consider a prepaid self defense legal plan like CCW safe. If there is a chance you might have to shoot this guy, better to be covered for legal fees.

Stay armed, stay alert. I do think you should consider this a potentially dangerous situation.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,533 Posts
People like this are known to kill people like me, its happened many times before. This has to do with prejudices regarding disabilities. where other people think people with disabilities must behave a particular way or they are abusers of the system etc if they don't. And that our lives are worthless and must be erased from this earth.
The mind is a powerful thing and can be just as confining as a physical prison.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Guy was pissed off, because you called him out, on his entitlement fantasy. Then he obviously over-reacted, and committed the crime of threatening you with bodily harm. "Terroristic Threat". Be sure the police documented your report.
This person may own a firearm, but IME, most legal firearms owners don't go around threatening to shoot people, or waving guns around.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Others have mentioned it. In many states this falls under the terroristic threat statute. File a police report and if possible file charges.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I live in Florida, and this very topic was being discussed in our legislature earlier this year.

I am on the fence if it is a verbal threat and occurs in the heat of the moment. Sticks and stones aree weapons, words are just words.

BTW- There is an old legal adage that states, "Say it. Forget it. Write it. Regret it."

If the police have EVIDENCE (e.g., text message) of a threat, I am all for the police treating it as a tangible threat and doing whatever they feel is necessary AT THE TIME to "keep the peace;" however, if it is simply "my word against his/her word" with no witnesses or EVIDENCE, then all LEO's can do or SHOULD DO, including the LEO's at the state attorney's office, is carefully document the "he said, she said."

How can we lock people up for being accused of saying something? Liberty will not allow it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As others have said, arm yourself and stay alert.
And get a body cam. Even a second cheap phone works on a pinch. Just set the camera to record video and make sure it faces to the front and the mic can pick up sound.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would seek a restraining order against him. It will not keep you safe by itself. Restraining orders are a joke. But if you have a restraining order against him, it provides you documentation and if you have to shoot him, you are on more solid legal footing. Also, you might consider a prepaid self defense legal plan like CCW safe. If there is a chance you might have to shoot this guy, better to be covered for legal fees.

Stay armed, stay alert. I do think you should consider this a potentially dangerous situation.
unfortunately it is really difficult to get restraining orders. you have to have loads of documented proof of interactions over time and many witnesses . It is his word against mine. So No ground for restraining order. I tried to get one for a different person who is a registered sex offender who was stalking me and my cat. Who had sex with a cow and killed it. Among other things. Even had a witness or two and it did no good.

I did talk to officers so it is in the officers note system. So if I turn up shot or dead they know where to start looking. at least I might get justice after the fact. If it ever happens.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As others have said, arm yourself and stay alert.
And get a body cam. Even a second cheap phone works on a pinch. Just set the camera to record video and make sure it faces to the front and the mic can pick up sound.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
phones are useless for the deaf. especially dealing with law enforcement. Audism is the problem. cameras and homelessness don't mix. they break way too easy and its a struggle just to survive as is.

As far as arming. All I can legally posses in my situation is pepper. I think tasers are a legal gray area right now in this region and I don't want to get in arms reach to begin with.

I have a 12 ga but its in storage and it is TOO LONG for van interior. also can't legally have it in van unless transporting it to and from range or shop. It would likely blow eardrums out as well.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in this case I believe "terroristic threat" is being inappropriately applied. The correct term is "death threat of an individual". terroristic threat is making terror threats to the masses or groups. Or did someone change the rules and definitions when I wasn't looking??
Like how the alt left misrepresents "gun safety" as "gun confiscation".

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Florida, and this very topic was being discussed in our legislature earlier this year.

I am on the fence if it is a verbal threat and occurs in the heat of the moment. Sticks and stones aree weapons, words are just words.

BTW- There is an old legal adage that states, "Say it. Forget it. Write it. Regret it."

If the police have EVIDENCE (e.g., text message) of a threat, I am all for the police treating it as a tangible threat and doing whatever they feel is necessary AT THE TIME to "keep the peace;" however, if it is simply "my word against his/her word" with no witnesses or EVIDENCE, then all LEO's can do or SHOULD DO, including the LEO's at the state attorney's office, is carefully document the "he said, she said."

How can we lock people up for being accused of saying something? Liberty will not allow it.
actually it is established that you can't say certain things. even under liberty. I clearly remember death threats was listed.
The problem is people gotten lax on enforcement of it. which in turns leads people to believe wrongly they have a right to say anything they want.

This is something that has already been decided by the courts before I ever entered school. example you can't say fire in crowded theater if there is no fire.

When they were teaching us they talked you can't do this or that but they never stated specifically what crime your committing when doing it. Its covered under free speech exceptions.

·
Aim true !
12,465 Posts
Sounds like trouble finds you. Maybe it's time to relocate? I do not understand why you can't get housing because your disabled. They have units all over the place for the disabled and elderly. And the rent is based on income. These units don't have all the scum like low income housing projects do.

Reactions: Philmo11 and Wag

·
Banned
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
trouble would be waiting for me, due to my disabilities, and how too many people despise or don't think we have worth.

Its been following me since I was 5 nothing new and running hasn't worked. Just made it worse. prey run bullies follow because they get enjoyment out of it. Says MRI studies lighting up the pleasure centers.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
in this case I believe "terroristic threat" is being inappropriately applied. The correct term is "death threat of an individual". terroristic threat is making terror threats to the masses or groups.
And you would be incorrect. There is an actual criminal charge for making "Terroristic Threats" in many states. Has nothing to do with making mass threats, terrorist groups or international terrorism.
It usually applies when someone threatens to kill or commit grievous bodily harm to another or makes such threats in front of those who will repeat the threats to that individual in order to instill terror. If you don't have witnesses you have little chance of making the charge stick.

·
Registered
367 Posts
actually it is established that you can't say certain things. even under liberty. I clearly remember death threats was listed.
The problem is people gotten lax on enforcement of it. which in turns leads people to believe wrongly they have a right to say anything they want.

This is something that has already been decided by the courts before I ever entered school. example you can't say fire in crowded theater if there is no fire.

When they were teaching us they talked you can't do this or that but they never stated specifically what crime your committing when doing it. Its covered under free speech exceptions.
We have a little misunderstanding, so I'll speak to that first.

Please know and understand that I was not talking about "the right to this ir that," rather the Liberty as adults to speak our minds toward one anther.

Specifically to the thread author's point, and you said it perfectly in this, "...they never stated specifically what crime your committing when [making a verbal threat]...," and therein lies the reason for the left and RINOs in Florida's legislature trying to create a law that would be broken.

IMHO, we do not need such a law, and I do not base this view on what's per se within the COTUS or BOR, rather on each individual's Liberty as someone 18 years (i.e., of adult age) or older.

Hope this helps clears up the "mental short-hand" of my previous post.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Harassment, and/or simple assault depending on the particular state's law. As an example, here is Pennsylvania law, but yours may differ.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Can you cite or reference the specific statute or subsection that makes saying it rise to the level of simple assault?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts