National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me I recently bought my dad a pistol online he is wheelchair bound and I want him to have protection anyhow I purchased the walther pps m2 for him and done so on my credit card since it is intended to be a surprise but my plan was to take him to the gun store just to look around but it is actually my ffl that his gun is being shipped to now I’m taking him along because it is gonna be his to own therefore I was thinking it’d be better to have him fill out the nessecart paperwork that way his gun will be in his name my question now is that surely won’t be a problem will it that I paid with my credit card but he is gonna be owner and have the nessecart background done on him if someone could give me some input on this I would be grateful thank you

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,293 Posts
If your father fills out the 4483 form and passes the background check, it will legally be his firearm, regardless of who pays for it. Think of it as buying a car for your father and having the car titled in his name, once the sale is finalize, your father would be the legal owner.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
You’ll have no problem.
My wife owns firearms. She has never physically paid for any of them (I have) but has went to the FFL and filled out the paper work. They are “her” guns.

Ownership isn’t decided by who pays. It’s decided by who the firearm is physically transferred to.
Good luck and welcome to NGF.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
You can legally gift a firearm to immediate family members. Should be no problem for him to fill out the paperwork even though you paid for it.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
I've always filled out the purchase forms and gifted the gun. Way too much government in what I do already.

·
Registered
178 Posts
All are correct but be sure about the state laws in which you live in.
These comments have nothing to do with what is called a "straw purchase". A straw purchase is illegal.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
When my son bought me my SW 45 Colt. He had to do the paperwork. The LGS wouldn't let me do the forms. Even though they knew us. Because of straw purchase laws.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
When my son bought me my SW 45 Colt. He had to do the paperwork. The LGS wouldn't let me do the forms. Even though they knew us. Because of straw purchase laws.

It's not a straw purchase if you had done the paperwork. The whole point of a straw purchase is for someone to illegally avoid the paperwork and have someone else fill it out as if they were buying the gun. In your case it shouldn't matter either way as you can gift a gun to an immediate family member proving they can legally posses the gun.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
It was at Geisers. They said since my son was paying for it. He was doing through layaway. He would have to fill out the paperwork. Then if i wanted it in my name we could do a transfer. Another 25.00. They charge 50.00 for internet transfers, If we bought it trough Gators there would not have been an issue. I said let it go, Because it will be his after im gone anyways.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Unless they thought your son was going to be the straw purchaser being he was paying for it but that would be odd being you said they know both of you.? You don't have permits to own in PA so you really don't need it in your name anyway. BTW whoever is filling out the form must answer yes to the question about are you the actual buyer or transferee even if you are giving it as a gift. Also some states don't allow gifts and must be transferred through a FFL too.

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
You can legally gift a firearm to immediate family members. Should be no problem for him to fill out the paperwork even though you paid for it.
It's not a straw purchase if you had done the paperwork. The whole point of a straw purchase is for someone to illegally avoid the paperwork and have someone else fill it out as if they were buying the gun. In your case it shouldn't matter either way as you can gift a gun to an immediate family member proving they can legally posses the gun.
You can buy a gun and legally gift it to anyone you like. It doesn't have to be a family member.

That said, it may have the APPEARANCE of a straw purchase even if it truly isn't.

--Wag--

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
You can buy a gun and legally gift it to anyone you like. It doesn't have to be a family member.

That said, it may have the APPEARANCE of a straw purchase even if it truly isn't.

--Wag--

Very true, i have seen gun shops deny purchases before because one person is checking out the guns and then another tries to buy the gun the other guy likes. Sometimes it's quite obvious when a straw sale is trying to happen Gun shops have the right to refuse sales if they think anything fishy is going on.

Reactions: Wag

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Geisers was looking to make an extra 25.00 i think. But they are great on reloading supplies prices at least and now and then a good deal on guns.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I've always filled out the purchase forms and gifted the gun. Way too much government in what I do already.
Yes. There needs to be no more gun laws beyond the 2nd A. The govt. should spend more time controlling immigrants and more money fixing our roads than policing our Constitutional rights. The fed. govt. should put more effort, time and money into securing quality housing, dental care and healthcare for needy veterans. It seems as all the foreigners get the better housing.

I long to see the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the National Firearms Act of 1934 burn. I long to see the ATF disbanded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright so I went this morning and picked the walther pps m2 up myself ,,,I looked into the matter a little further and was convinced that one particular question on the 4473 could cause a person to wrongly get tangled into a bunch of federal nonsense if that person was picking up a firearm that was payed for using the debit card of another individual... Even if it’s completely innocent the question of are you the buyer/transferee of the firearm can in my opinion be used to argue legitimacy on both sides . For them they would say my dad was not the buyer if my debit card was used I am the buyer.. And for me I’d say the transferee or actual owner of the firearm is the rightful owner if the funds used to obtain it were given to him as either a gift or even payment for work or anything to that nature as long as the money was not stolen or given with the intent to ultimately give the gun back to a prohibited person that couldn’t buy it themselves It’s a law with reasoning that has not been thought out well if it in fact exist as it certainly appears is the case .. it seems to protect paperwork and the ffl that the firearm was sent to more than anything else. If it’s a family heirloom or a personal gun you bought without ever intending to gift it is one thing obviously in that situation you should be the one to do all the jumping through the hoops they require even though it’s blatantly unconstitutional no matter how hard they try to interpret the meaning behind the 2nd amendment they will never convince me that it’s there to make citizens be accountable to the government it in fact is quite the opposite and is intended to give citizens the means to push back at an overreaching government but until the people form that militia we can expect them to keep squeezing and they will .. But if the gun isn’t a family heirloom and in fact is bought as an intended gift you would think it is more responsible of the purchaser of such a gift to bring the person receiving the gift along with them and present them with the gift you wished to give them and let them fill out the paperwork and be the ultimate owner of there gift .. oddly enough I could have handed my dad my debit card and let him go buy it himself using my card at the local gun store and that wouldn’t have been an issue likely because how often does the person behind the counter look at the card ,, ,,they don’t or never have in my case but if you have it shipped there is a paper trail with a bill and one persons name on it then if they allowed someone else to pick it up and the fbi ever looked through the paperwork at the ffl where it was transferred it would look kinda suspicious and maybe throw red flags at the ffl I’m not sure I didn’t ask I just went and picked the damn thing up myself gave it to dad and I refuse to give them anymore of my money to transfer it to him so there you go seems wrong if this is the way you have to legally give someone especially a father or Any immediate family member a gift but whatever makes this corrupt government of ours happy I guess ,, oh and by the way you can legally gift a firearm to anyone as long as they are legally allowed to possess one .. my question is if they are required by law to destroy the 4473’s that go through with a proceed with the sale order within 24 hours and since the attorney general made it illegal for the fbi to keep records of legal gun owners purchases why in the hell do they require the ffl to keep there records for 20 years . I suspect it is a way to circumvent the laws in place so they really still have access to something they can’t legally keep in there own possession.. Unfortunately our government has a dark history of this spying and data collecting behavior and even sadder than that is the solutions they come up with to resolve there own illegal behavior,, so rather than just stop the illegal act of metadata collection they continue the illegal collection but store it abroad somewhere ..if someone can spin that as a better way to legally do something that can constitutionally never ever be legal then your one hell of a salesman..

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
You’re WAY overthinking this.

·
Jesus Saves
7,843 Posts
I once bought a gun at Cabela's and the worker told me I could not use my wife's Cabela's card. I told him she will hand it to him and then he said then she has to complete the paperwork. I told him he was wrong, again.

He checked, I was right. As long as I am completing the paperwork, it is my gun sale regardless how it is paid for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not over thinking just overthought,, I picked it up this morning when it was delivered to the ffl so I’m done overthinking that one I’m moving on to another issue now you got a minute lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts