National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I understand, according to federal law, you can legally build a gun for personal possession as long as you can purchase and own one legally.

Is it legal for a minor to participate in the construction of a handgun since federal law says that the minimum age for ownership of a handgun is 18?

To elaborate: I am a minor (<18 years old). If I was to build a handgun with my dad, and it is my dad's gun, is this legal?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
With no legal training whatsoever I would say yes, absolutely. I see nothing wrong with it..

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
As long as YOU do not take possession of it - and in some states, you cannot even hold or shoot it - so what's the point?

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
You also need to check you local and state laws which also may apply. For instance if you live in NY i believe you can build a pistol but only after you send the un-built lower to a company that serializes it, then you add it to your permit and from there you can build it. I'm not 100% sure this is correct and legal. I started looking into doing this and it seemed like too much hassle so i decided against it. Just giving this info to give you an idea how local or state laws may apply. Also many places you need to be 21 to own and or use a handgun.

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
Welcome to NGF. Legal advice is best sought from legal experts not on-line forums. And since gun laws vary from state to state, you would be well advised to ask those who uphold the law in your state.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
As far as I understand, according to federal law, you can legally build a gun for personal possession as long as you can purchase and own one legally.

Is it legal for a minor to participate in the construction of a handgun since federal law says that the minimum age for ownership of a handgun is 18?

To elaborate: I am a minor (<18 years old). If I was to build a handgun with my dad, and it is my dad's gun, is this legal?

It's legal as long as it is your father's gun and not yours, but you say it's your fathers to skirt the law. Keep in mind, many states allow possession of a firearm by a minor, ONLY when that minor is under adult supervision. If you happen to live in one of those states and get caught with a handgun without adult supervision, you and your parents will be in legal trouble.

Reactions: BigNastyCowboy

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
It's legal as long as it is your father's gun and not yours, but you say it's your fathers to skirt the law. Keep in mind, many states allow possession of a firearm by a minor, ONLY when that minor is under adult supervision. If you happen to live in one of those states and get caught with a handgun without adult supervision, you and your parents will be in legal trouble.
I agree with this.

I don't know about actually taking the thing to the range and using it, but holding the drill press for Pop would be OK, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts