National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - my first time posting here, so take it easy on the noob. I live in Florida, but have a cabin in Alabama. Work is going remote, so I’m considering heading up to the cabin. I’d like to pick up a new handgun, but because I don’t have my license for CCW, it requires a 3-day hold. Is it possible to take possession of a handgun from a FFL in a state other than the one live in permanently? Thinking about ordering online and sending to the FFL near our cabin. I read over the Alabama laws, and it seems to indicate you can, but doesn’t specifically call out handguns while calling out rifles, etc. Many thanks.

-d

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
NCD -- no can do

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello all - my first time posting here, so take it easy on the noob. I live in Florida, but have a cabin in Alabama. Work is going remote, so I’m considering heading up to the cabin. I’d like to pick up a new handgun, but because I don’t have my license for CCW, it requires a 3-day hold. Is it possible to take possession of a handgun from a FFL in a state other than the one live in permanently? Thinking about ordering online and sending to the FFL near our cabin. I read over the Alabama laws, and it seems to indicate you can, but doesn’t specifically call out handguns while calling out rifles, etc. Many thanks.

-d
go with a rifle in a cabin since its longer range defense if you bail out the back door and have too take a defensive position behind trees for cover,pistols are limited in a gun fight

·
Registered
402 Posts
video time 0:40
you can get a 12 Gage pump and add a pistol grip to shorten it up would be better in a open area cabin front lawn shoot out then a pistol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. Thanks for the advice. That was entertaining! Have a pistol grip 500 already. The rifle is a good idea! Have a sig 365 xl is on its way here in FL. Maybe I should get a Windham or something. I’d have most of my bases covered then other than a full size service pistol. I can buy a rifle online and ship to AL? That’s something I never considered.

·
Registered
530 Posts
A second home residence qualifies as a residence for the purposes of firearms transfer (see Form 4473, Notes). Therefore, provided that you have documentation that would satisfy an FFL, and it's entirely his call, that for the purposes of a firearms transfer you have residence in Alabama, you may purchase a firearm in Alabama. Typically, you will have to provide some form of government ID, a fishing or hunting license with your Alabama address would do, some proof of address - utility bill?, And a photo ID pricing you are who you claim to be, so a FL driver's license would work.

You need to speak with and get the okay from the AL FFL in advance as it is his risk and his discretion as to whether your paperwork satisfies the 4473 requirements.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Ah Sure just get an ID for the Alabama address and all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts