National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Louisiana and the laws say: 21 years old can buy hand guns from ffl, 18 can possess handguns. 18 years old can buy a long gun from an ffl and there is no age restriction on possessing one. so my question is, since in Louisiana, a vehicle is considered an extension of your home( you can carry openly and loaded on the seat in plain view if you please. ya, Louisiana is awesome) can a minor keep a long gun such as a shotgun or keltek 2k in their vehicle legally? There is nothing i can find against it but it is very confusing. Thanks! :machinegun:

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Reactions: deputy

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
To the OP, we recommend that you talk to an attorney familiar with Louisana gun laws. People on the internet AND internet sites can be WRONG, and the courts won't consider advice from the internet as a valid defend.

Also this, check the fourth paragraph referring to long guns: click on Louisiana

Gun | Just another Laws.com site
I checked the link Scrub posted, for North Carolina laws, and it is two years out-of-date from current NC law, plus it leaves out several details, to where I wouldn't trust it as a valid source. (No offense Scrub.)

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,295 Posts
I live in Louisiana and the laws say: 21 years old can buy hand guns from ffl, 18 can possess handguns. 18 years old can buy a long gun from an ffl and there is no age restriction on possessing one. so my question is, since in Louisiana, a vehicle is considered an extension of your home( you can carry openly and loaded on the seat in plain view if you please. ya, Louisiana is awesome) can a minor keep a long gun such as a shotgun or keltek 2k in their vehicle legally? There is nothing i can find against it but it is very confusing. Thanks! :machinegun:

speak with a lawyer or judge familiar with the laws

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I agree that you need to speak to a lawyer about the laws in your state. They get weird when it comes to gun laws. For example...

In Pennsylvania ( where I live ) you can open carry with out a permit. To carry concealed you have to have a permit. When you put a loaded gun in a car it is considered by the law to be concealed even if it is sitting on the dash board where any one can see it. Even if it is hanging in a gun rack inside the back window of a pick up truck it is considered to be concealed. You can still have a gun in the car if you do not have a CCP but it can not be loaded. If you have a CCP then of course it can be loaded.

Find out for sure. Ask at the gun stores in your area or ask the local Sheriff. The last thing you want is a gun charge on your record. It could mess you up for gun owner ship for the rest of your life. Know the law... Obey the law.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
there may also be some sort of "making firearms accessible to a minor" law that could come into play.

there is such a law in Texas......with exceptions..It is around the basic concept to keep a firearm secure from unauthorized use by a minor.

as for LA or any other State, i have no clue to such or how those possible laws are worded and the basic intent of said laws.

and i agree,,,,,,,,,legal advise over the net can be rather dangerous.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
In North Carolina, a 18 year old can possess a long gun or handgun, however they must be 18 years old to purchase a long gun and 21 years old to purchase a handgun. Anyone under 18 years old can possess a firearm, as long as, a parent or guardian proves and there is direct adult supervision.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
In North Carolina, a 18 year old can possess a long gun or handgun, however they must be 18 years old to purchase a long gun and 21 years old to purchase a handgun. Anyone under 18 years old can possess a firearm, as long as, a parent or guardian proves and there is direct adult supervision.

Yep, Missouri the same thing applies and you may have it in your vehicle loaded in open view or concealed without a permit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Geez, what a bunch of restricting laws.
when I was nine "1948) my dad bought me my first real (I shot bb guns for years before that) gun. (22 single shot). The next year I got a 22/410 over/under. I owned those guns and hunted with them whenever the seasons allowed.
I lived on a farm and grew up handling guns (and a bow) and hunting. Guess that makes all the diffrrence!I wouldn't expect todays urban kids to have much gun experience, so guess restrictive laws are necessary.
Glad I grew up then !!!!

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
when I was nine "1948) my dad bought me my first real (I shot bb guns for years before that) gun. (22 single shot). The next year I got a 22/410 over/under. I owned those guns and hunted with them whenever the seasons allowed.
I lived on a farm and grew up handling guns (and a bow) and hunting. Guess that makes all the diffrrence!I wouldn't expect todays urban kids to have much gun experience, so guess restrictive laws are necessary.
Glad I grew up then !!!!
Me too (in the 1950's)

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
Glad I grew up then !!!!
That's just it, these restrictive laws are NOT necessary. Return God and discipline to the school systems, enact severe penalties for drug possession, dealing and manufacturing, and clean up television and movies and watch a lot of our problems go away.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
That's just it, these restrictive laws are NOT necessary. Return God and discipline to the school systems, enact severe penalties for drug possession, dealing and manufacturing, and clean up television and movies and watch a lot of our problems go away.

Good Idea and I agree, but with the libtard population there would have to be a genocide first.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The nitty gritty of the law is pretty simple. Regardless of state laws, the GCA defines that at 18 years old someone can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from an FFL. To buy a handgun someone must be 21 years old. That's quite straightforward and clear.

Here in Idaho also we are an open carry state and a loaded pistol can be on the dashboard of my pickup with no problem. No deputy would get nuts about it seeing it there either.

So, the law is clear in that regard.

When discussing guns regarding minors this gets into a bit of a grey area. If you have a son who is 16 or 17 and now has a drivers licence, legally he could have a rifle or shotgun in the vehicle in plain view provided the state law allows it. Legally though he can't be the owner of the gun because he is a minor. You'd have to check the Louisiana state laws for this question. I doubt that a minor under 18 can legally have a rifle in any vehicle in any state though without an adult who owns the rifle present because 18 is the federal legal age to own a rifle as per the GCA.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Never take legal advice from the web. Speak with a lawyer.
Not exactly sound advice. I have looked up and posted both federal and state regulations for people. The laws for any state are available on-line as is the complete text of the GCA and the Brady Act. There is no need to pay a blood sucking lawyer to answer a simple legal question with the text of the applicable law provided.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts