National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom just bought an fnx-40. She's alright with it, but she struggles with pulling the slide back. Also she fumbles with the slide lock. She bought it because she's a lefty and its ambidextrous. I was just wondering if the slide becomes easier to rack over time and by how much? Also if anyone knows of any slide release extensions for this model? Or if anyone has any general suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Has your Mom attended a firearms safety course with a NRA certified instructor? (That's were I would start)

Typically the slide will become easier to operate due to muscle memory and practice rather than a "breaking in period" (the recoil spring doesn't really break in)

I don't use the slide lock on any of my pistols to release the slide. Empty magazine goes out, loaded magazine goes in, short pull on the slide and pew, pew, pew we go.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,723 Posts
As rdc0311 stated, it will become easier as she becomes more use to it. There are no slide release extensions for the FNX pistols. Try changing out the backstraps to see if that helps.

It's too late now, but it is advisable to rent a firearm and trying it out at the range before buying. Also as rdc0311 stated, an NRA safety course is strongly recommended.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Dear Ol' Mom needs a revolver, not an autoloader. Revolvers are simple and easy to operate. And they come in wonderfully effective, yet easy to handle and control calibers like .38 Special. If Mummy is having trouble with the slide, she can't be enjoying the fierce recoil of the .40 S&W caliber. Be a good son, and get her the right gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts