National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,883 Posts
I don't understand. It only takes 10 round magazines? Have you tried higher capacity magazines?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There should be no problem using standard AK RPK mags for it as long as the 10 round mag wasn't fixed in place. You can get 30 or 40 round mags for it.
AK & RPK Magazines
If i wanted to make the AK take 30 round magazines i would have to take a Dremel to the receiver. but i don't want to mess it up, that's why i'm wondering if a Gunsmith with do it for me ?

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Can you post the exact model info of that AK please. Where did you buy it from? The mag well will accept any magazines with the appropriate locking spots.

To put this in perspective; if you take one of your 10 round mags, extend the length and add the curve (plus the spring and follower), you have a 30 round mag. All the AK mags are single stack unless they are specially designed.

This really should be a no brainer and definitely shouldn't need any gunsmithing to the mag well.

My recommendation is that you buy a 30 round mag that 'should' work and try it. If it works, problem solved. If it doesn't either A) send it back and tell them it doesn't lock in place or B) hang on to it then sell it later to someone who needs it. Either way the worst you'd be out is the $6 return postage with a tracking number back to the company for a refund. ASC also makes AK mags and they have some very reasonable prices.

I don't know of ANY AK that ONLY takes 10 round mags.There are mags that have been permanently altered to only accept 10 rounds but not AK rifles. The mag well is the mag well.

What state do you live in? Your info doesn't say. If you live in a restrictive state, then you damn sure shouldn't be asking questions here as to how to violate laws. You only have a couple posts in this forum.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Are you sure you don't have an SKS? SKS's aren't and never were an AK variant. They were made before AK's. SKS's have a flip out 10 round magazine and they are quickest to load with stripper clips with the bolt open. Post a picture of your rifle.

If it is an SKS, then it would need some modification to accept 30 round mags.

I did like my Norinco SKS with it's composite stock, but I traded it straight across for a 1911 .45 pistol and I like the pistol better :biggrin5:

· Grand Imperial Poobah
32,975 Posts
OP, can you post photos of your AK?

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Seems that with those single stack models the 10 rounders were the only magazines produced for them. I hadn't even given this subject much thought until these threads came up. I was reading on one site that Century International imported a bunch of these early PAP 70's and milled out the mag wells to accept standard AK mags. This particular model was originally designed as a sporting model to get around the Clinton AWB and was supposed to be non threatening to the gun grabbing bedwetters. Hence the single stack design with only 10 round mags available for it.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
That would make sense Mike - in a twisted way of course (since that AWB was all donkey dung - I wouldn't call it horse **** because my horse is smarter than slick Willy - most donkeys are probably too). We do need to know what he actually has. The mag well in an AK though is just basically a cutout in the lower receiver plate. I didn't know that Century was doing that during that useless ban time. If he has one of those, any mildly competent gunsmith should be able to fix it up right quick. I know I could. Good to learn something new. Thanks for the info Mike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts