National Gun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a ruger 10/22, and was told that the barrel was designed for the Aguila 22LR 60 grain bullet, and as such, the barrels twist rate is 9.5 to 1. I was curious what would happen were I to fire a traditional .22lr through this barrel? Sorry if this is a no brainer, I am fairly new to firearm useage. Also, as a side note what is anyone's opinion's of the Aguila 22LR? Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't have any technical information on this matter, but will offer my opinion.

The optimum twist rate of a rifle is linked to the length of a bullet. And longer bullets are usually heavier bullets. Personally I have not heard of such a barrel for the 10/22 but am guessing it is an after market barrel. Unless there is some dimentional difference in the chamber to accomodate this cartridge with it's shorter case and longer bullet, then I can't see where shooting standard long rifle rounds would present any chambering problems or safety risk. Accuracy results might be disappointing as a 1 in 9.5 inch twist would be quite fast for a normal 36 - 40 grain bullet. I could see where the bullet might also skid down a portion of the barrel before beginning to spin. This would not enhance accuracy and could contribute to excessive leading.

I have only fired a limited number of these rounds and always in bolt action rilfes. Obviously they fired to a lower point of impact than my other ammunition but I found them to be pretty accurate. I'd be interested in hearing how your rifle shoots for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts