National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a new gun owner. I have the new Baby Desert Eagle Fast Action 9mm. Is it bad to put different brands of the same caliber ammo into one clip (assuming they're all good brands) or does it not matter? How about mixing hollow point and solid point ammo?

·
research junkie
263 Posts
it should not matter. the gun just cycle it without knowing it. I had a NRA teacher that kept this protection gun with 2 rds of shotshell and then a hollowpoint and so on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've never tried it but DFWM is correct in my opinion; it should not matter. For me a 9mm from federal is the same as a 9mm from Remington or anyone else. The rounds' dimensions should still be the same. However the judge is an interesting firearm. You can load alternate rounds in the cylinder; 45LC/.410 shot shell or what ever your pattern preference is. I love that revolver and hopefully someday I'll own one.

Rookie

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It will not cause a functional problem, but be aware that some semi autos like some ammo better than others. If you are using a particular load for self defense, make sure you put a decent amount through your weapon to ensure it likes it. Also be aware that different ammo will shoot differently in the same gun. You may have different recoil or different point of impact for instance.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
+1 on what djegator said... also, I know your a new gun owner so let me explain something.

Your Baby Eagle uses a magazine, not a clip. A clip holds ammuntion and is inserted into a magazine to load certain types of weapons.

Many military weapons utilize clips however, most civilian weapons simply use magazines.

Welcome to National Gun Forum. You might want to drop by our New Members section and introduce yourself. Check out the rules, enjoy yourself, and feel free to ask any questions.

We were all new gun owners at one time!

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
It will not cause a functional problem, but be aware that some semi autos like some ammo better than others. If you are using a particular load for self defense, make sure you put a decent amount through your weapon to ensure it likes it. Also be aware that different ammo will shoot differently in the same gun. You may have different recoil or different point of impact for instance.
That's what I have always been told as well. Anytime we get a new gun we fire a couple of boxes of each brand through to make sure there are no problems.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Right on the money!

Its usually only a problem with pistols that specify a certain type of ammo. Like the older Seecamps specified only the use of Winchester Silvertip ammo with a certain OAL of rounds. S&W model 52-2 requires wadcutters, etc.

I find some of my 22 caliber semi-autos are very particular about what type of ammo they use. Some will jam often and others will rarely have a problem.

For defensive guns I will make sure I use ammo that cycles the pistol reliably.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
A side note: When checking out a new handgun, I will often load a magazine with several different types of ammo (different brands, bullet styles, etc) in order to see what that gun's preferences and limitations are. I prefer a pistol that will digest anything thrown at it, but if it does happen to do poorly with a particular brand/type, I want to know that beforehand.

The majority of the guns I sell are for self defense, so it's important for me to be able to let my clients know what to expect.

Just a sidenote, Seecamp has expanded their list of preferred rounds for their .380 ACP, but it's still fairly limited. The sticker on my new LWS-380 states that Winchester Silvertips and Federal Hydra-Shok rounds are preferred and that ball ammo should never be used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts