National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fiance had a recent experience that has completely changed her mind about guns, so I am doing my best to learn all I can about the best Concealed Carry gun and method for her. From what I can tell purse carry will probably be best for her, but I wanted to know what yall thought about this method and what the best gun for it might be. We are trying not to spend more than 400 on the gun if at all possible so our options may be very limited.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,522 Posts
Just an observation, you're a guy, so any opinion, suggestion, thought, idea, cognitive content, intention, sentiment, view, judgement or impression you have as to what is best for your fiance, will be wrong. You can't choose the pistol for her or the best way for her to carry it. Only she can do that.

The only way you're going to get the right setup for her, is to let her learn what her options are and have her do the choosing. Your fiance can get more assistance from another woman that carries and shoots, than you.

For your part, be supportive and answer her questions, without interjecting your own opinions. I took my wife to a gun show, so she could see, touch, hold and functionally operate (short of the bang) every firearm that interested her. (She came home with a 1980s model Colt Mustang, which is her favorite.) Another suggestion is, take your fiance to a range where you can rent pistols and let her try anything she wants.

The old saying, "when momma ain't happy, no one is happy" is very true.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
So my fiance had a recent experience that has completely changed her mind about guns, so I am doing my best to learn all I can about the best Concealed Carry gun and method for her. From what I can tell purse carry will probably be best for her, but I wanted to know what yall thought about this method and what the best gun for it might be. We are trying not to spend more than 400 on the gun if at all possible so our options may be very limited.
There are two disadvantages to purse carry.
1. Speed
2. If the purse is snatched or stolen, she loses the gun. And arms a criminal.

The speed issue can be improved a bit with a purse designed for concealed carry, with a separate compartment for the gun.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
There are two disadvantages to purse carry.
1. Speed
2. If the purse is snatched or stolen, she loses the gun. And arms a criminal.

The speed issue can be improved a bit with a purse designed for concealed carry, with a separate compartment for the gun.
yeh, win you said it before I could, whats the first thing a thug is going to grab? thats right a purse and they are usally good at it. theres plenty of female conceal and carry equipment now days for women instead of a purse...:cornut:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just an observation, you're a guy, so any opinion, suggestion, thought, idea, cognitive content, intention, sentiment, view, judgement or impression you have as to what is best for your fiance, will be wrong. You can't choose the pistol for her or the best way for her to carry it. Only she can do that.
While that is very true, I'm not trying to make the choices for her, I am only looking to supply her with as much general knowledge as I can while she goes through the process for herself, I plan to take her to the range and all that good stuff and help to guide her to figuring out what she likes best. In the end it will always be her choice, I just wanted to get some info to help her out. I just want to be able to point her in the right direction to find what she wants.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
In general a person who has decided to get into shooting out of fear is not going to be as enthused about guns as those who get into shooting because they enjoy it. The half life of fear is very short.

What I am saying is there are many options for personal safety. A gun is just one and it is not the best option in all cases. Guns take time. They require training, practice and dedication to be used for personal defense. Many people think a gun is safety. Many people think a gun is an equalizer. Many people think a gun is security. These people are wrong. A gun is none of those things. When it comes to personal defense a gun is failure, because when it come to the point of using a gun for personal protection that means that you have failed to do all of the other things you should have done to keep yourself safe. It means your chances of living through the event are 50/50 at the absolute best. That's harsh I know, but it is truth.

Let me put it this way. There are two different types of gun owners.

#1. This Person has bought the gun they think they want. They have also picked up ammo and all the needed equipment. They go to the range and shoot. On the drive home they think about rearranging their time so they can get back to the range quickly because they loved what they were doing. The next weekend they are at the range again and they are looking for classes on how to be a better shooter. On the way home they stop and buy more ammo because they have already shot up the 300 rounds they bought when they got the gun and they are going to need more ammo next weekend when they go to the range again. If a week goes by when they can't get to the range they are disappointed.

#2. This Person has bought the gun they think they want. They have also picked up ammo and all the needed equipment. They go to the range and shoot. On the drive home they think thank God that is over. I have a gun and I am safe now. They put the gun in a " Safe " place and there it sits week after week after month.

Person #2 would have been better off to save their money. They are more likely to have their gun taken from them and used against them than to defend their safety with it.

I am not trying to talk your wife out of getting a gun. I am trying to talk her out of being person #2. Person #2 may think they are safe, but that safety is an illusion.

There are women who are Person #1. Lots of them. My wife is person #1 in a big big way and if that is the gun owner your wife wants to be then SHE has some research to do and this is a great place for HER to have HER questions answered by people who know what they are talking about and make no money from what they say. If she is going to be Person #2 then a class on situational awareness and a can of pepper spray will serve her better than a firearm.

Get her logged on and tell her not to be afraid, we answer questions from new shooters all day every day. It's part of our hobby.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have her go to corneredcat and she can get the info to make up her own mind. It is a site for women who want to carry.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
One way to reduce the ease of having her purse stolen is to always carry it across her body. Sling it on her right side (so she can reach her pistol, assuming she is right-handed), but over her LEFT shoulder, not her right as most would carry it, like a messenger bag. A lot harder to just snatch it off her shoulder that way.

There are several firearms out there in your price range. Ruger LCP, most of the Kel-Tecs, Smith and Wesson SW9VE, and so on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love how much effort you put into the replies you post Siplace they are always very well thought out, thanks for that. I am trying to get her to go out to the range with me. She has always had a bit of a "fear" of guns (I don't think fear is the right word, but I can't think of a better one) because she doesn't understand guns. But as everyone here has said it is all up to her. We may find out after a day at the range that she is a "person #2" and that a can of pepper spray might be a better idea for her. Thanks again for all the advice guys

·
Super Moderator
11,077 Posts
Just note, there is "learning to shoot" and "carrying concealed."

With regard to learning to shoot, I've seen a lot of guys take their wives or girlfriends, sisters or moms to the range and totally eliminate their desire to shoot. Gun too big, too much "teaching," some will even get mad at her for not making it perfect for him, etc. Tough to teach your own family at best.

Ask her to go to an NRA class. They are typically very good.

Once she is past the "learning to shoot" stage, have her read this: The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry: Massad Ayoob, Massad F. Ayoob: 9781440232671: Amazon.com: Books

That will help her get to the "carrying concealed" stage. The reason I mention the book is because it helps you get the mindset that is required to carry concealed and know about defending oneself.

Most of us stop there but there's another step for you both and that is tactical training but take everything one step at a time. She's mentally ready to start but patience is still a necessity or you can easily undo it.

--Wag--

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I love how much effort you put into the replies you post Siplace they are always very well thought out, thanks for that. I am trying to get her to go out to the range with me. She has always had a bit of a "fear" of guns (I don't think fear is the right word, but I can't think of a better one) because she doesn't understand guns. But as everyone here has said it is all up to her. We may find out after a day at the range that she is a "person #2" and that a can of pepper spray might be a better idea for her. Thanks again for all the advice guys

Si will usually write a book and that's good, I think he is a author.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts