National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (within 2 weeks) moved to Indiana from the Democratic Peoples Republic of Illinois (aka Illinois) and am in the process of obtaining my Indiana carry license. However, I have not yet obtained my Indiana Driver's license and therefor cannot purchase a handgun in Indiana. I do still have my valid Illinois License and FOID Card however, so my question is: Can I return to Illinois to purchase a handgun since I am authorized to purchase there, and then bring my handgun back into Indiana to use as ccw here (once I am licensed)? I have done a good deal of searching for laws and such on moving states with guns and nothing has turned up regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I`m down here in Southwestern Indiana----I don`t see problem about Indiana as you are not technically a resident yet and the state has no registration laws. (thank goodness) I can`t say what is legal in Illinois as I don`t go there---don`t want to go there. I`m a Texas transplant and I have never had an issue about dragging some of my firearms from Texas up here.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Don't see why you can't get it from IL...you have to be in most states 6 months to claim residency.

BTW congrats on your move to IN...now you will have rights and welcome from Missouri.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,379 Posts
When you purchase a handgun you are required to fill out form 4473. Question #13 asks, What is your state of residence?

FYI, Lying on the form is a felony. Is it worth the risk? Personally, I'd say "No", because getting caught means no guns forever, plus whatever fine or jail time they may impose.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
When you purchase a handgun you are required to fill out form 4473. Question #13 asks, What is your state of residence?

FYI, Lying on the form is a felony. Is it worth the risk? Personally, I'd say "No", because getting caught means no guns forever, plus whatever fine or jail time they may impose.
Well technically he is not a resident yet---but he is also not an Illinois resident----yeah------could get sticky!

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Well technically he is not a resident yet---but he is also not an Illinois resident----yeah------could get sticky!
Yeah, they could maybe make a case that you weren't a resident of Illinois anymore when you bought the weapon. Theoretically, you'd think it would be impossible for an American citizen to not be a resident of some state... And there are a lot of people, many of them actually highly-paid professionals who work 'on the road' who have to have this figured out.

Where you pay your income taxes isn't a guide -- last time I looked, you had to split your taxes between two states if you lived in one and worked in another. This is common, for instance, in Minnesota's Twin Cities where lots of folks commute to there but live in Wisconsin.

It would be nasty if you had to pay more to a lawyer on this question than the price of the weapon. Any chance you could just wait six months and meanwhile, make do with a Ka-Bar under your pillow?

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Get your license changed over to Indiana.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts