National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my uncle's funeral. I always knew vaugely that he had been a WWII vet but just learned that he had been a member of the 11th Airborne. Also, I learned today that he had been awarded the Bronze Star for action in France. Apparently his unit had been assigned a mission and was successful. But in the process, Uncle Chuck was the only survivor of his entire unit. As is typical of many decorated servicemen, Uncle Chuck never spoke of this event. I always knew him as a quiet and humble man.

G

·
Gabby said:
I just returned from my uncle's funeral. I always knew vaugely that he had been a WWII vet but just learned that he had been a member of the 11th Airborne. Also, I learned today that he had been awarded the Bronze Star for action in France. Apparently his unit had been assigned a mission and was successful. But in the process, Uncle Chuck was the only survivor of his entire unit. As is typical of many decorated servicemen, Uncle Chuck never spoke of this event. I always knew him as a quiet and humble man.

Wow! That's great! You have every right to be proud......

And you are right, I know two people who have been awarded the Bronze Star (one in Vietnam and the other in Iraq) and neither of them have EVER even mentioned it......

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Sorry for your loss Gabby.
You have every right to be proud of a great man like your uncle.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I got a lump in my throat reading your tribute. Thanks to your Uncle Chuck. Thanks to all our brave service men and women.

G

·
A few months ago our oldest Kiwanis member, age 93, was reading the paper in the den. His wife answered the doorbell and a woman posing as a florist delivery pulled a gun and demanded money. My 93 year friend rushed the intruder, knocking her to the floor. She quickly picked up her gun and fled.
Being interviewed by the news reporter he quiped: hell, in France when we gave out of ammo we used our bayonets, mine got stuck in some guy so it was down to hand to hand. I took out two with my bare hands- what's the big deal about a woman with a pea shooter?
Wasn't for brave soldiers we'd be speaking German, Japanese, God knows what.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I send my prayers to your family.

The generation that is passing is a unique one. The lives that they experienced were much harder than we can imagine in many cases. Their suffering during WWII, the depression and the Korean War formed men and women of great character with unusual gifts! I call them the generation of "Common Sense" because they know what was important for the survival of this great country. They had/have a wisdom and a unity that does not exist today!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts