National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There headline
"Police detain armed militia members after man is shot at Albuquerque protest"

Dive into the story.
Protesters in Albuquerque wrapped a chain around the neck of a bronze statue and began tugging, chanting, “Tear it down,” shortly before sunset on Monday. Their efforts to pull down a monument of Spanish conquistador Juan de Oñate suddenly stopped as four shots rang out.
Recent protests against Oñate statues in New Mexico mirror similar calls to tear down Confederate monuments amid a rise in Black Lives Matter demonstrations following the death of George Floyd, the man killed after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for more than eight minutes.
In the hours leading up to the violence on Monday, protesters faced off with members of an armed militia that calls itself the New Mexico Civil Guard and counterprotesters toting “All lives matter” signs.
One group sought to tear down a monument to a Oñate, a 16th century despot who massacred indigenous people. The other set out as self-designated protectors of the statue, creating a heavily-armed presence at the park in Albuquerque’s historic Old Town. Aside from a few small scuffles over signs near the monument, the protest had largely been peaceful, though tense at times.
Then, a white man in a blue T-shirt appeared to rile the crowd, according to video obtained by KOB4.
People erupted in shouts and the man took a few steps back.
A masked protester swung a skateboard and struck the him in the shoulder.
The man back peddled out of the crowd, but continued to exchange shouts with protesters.

Someone in the video encouraged people to follow the man and get his license plate number.
Several people followed him, and one tackled him to the ground.
As he tried to stand back up and three people tried to hit him again, the man in blue pulled a gun and fired four shots, striking one man and scattering the crowd.

In a second video that captured the moments following the shooting, the gunman sat in the middle of a road as the New Mexico Civil Guard militia members formed a circle around him. One man carrying a semiautomatic rifle, camouflage fatigues and a military-style helmet kicked the handgun away from the man and stood with his foot on top of the weapon.
Police responded to the scene with tear gas and flash-bang explosives to force the crowd back. Officers detained several members of the militia group, according to reporters and witnesses at the scene. Video showed officers placing the apparent gunman into a cruiser.

I will be applying the 24hr rule as the dems screech about this injustice.

· Premium Member
9,954 Posts
A group of protests were attempting to take down a statue in New Mexico and were being stopped by a group that have been labeled as a vigilante group. Someone in the vigilante group shot and wounded one of the basement dwelling statue removers. A man has been taken into custody. That may just stop a few of these protesters or it could escalate the violence.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,112 Posts
Just so I have the facts straight .....

1. "Protestors" proceed to destroy public property.
2. The police do nothing to stop these "protestors".
3. Another group of people, labelled a "vigilante group" attempt to stop the "protestors" and protect public property.
4. The "protestors" attack members of the "vigilante group", and the members of the "vigilante group" being attack defend themselves.
4. The police step in and arrest some members of the "vigilante group" for doing what the police should have been doing.

..... is that basically what happened?

· "You talkin to me?"
4,439 Posts
there's more to come it's a world wide movement now

· Live Free
4,517 Posts
And the mayor and governor are ready to throw the book at the “vigilante group” but unwilling to deal with rioters and looters...obviously much is not known yet, but the differing reactions at this point looks quite prejudicial on the part of governing authorities...

· Aim true !
14,187 Posts
Im running into folks ''training'' others who never owned or shot a gun. Reason because of what has been going on. Also our walmart is sold out of guns. I thought they put them in the back again. But left the ammo out this time. The gal at the counter said no were sold out. Ammo was slim pickens too. Only 22 ammo they had was some rem subsonic. Getting scary out there folks. I keep saying it won't happen here in the coal regions. But never know these days.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
perhaps they are buying up to get ahead of a specific date fast approaching.......Juneteenth......

· Premium Member
9,954 Posts
This is exactly why I don’t like to see people making a show with their weapons. They did it in Virginia and in Michigan and it’s a incident waiting to happen. They will be labeled “ White supremacists in the next few days. The fact that the mayor and the Governor want to throw the book at them tells how this is going to go and it’s not good for us gun people.

· Registered
17,556 Posts
Well i for one would feel my life is threatened if i were being beat by several people and using objects as weapons. I guess self defense is now illegal.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
And the mayor and governor are ready to throw the book at the “vigilante group” but unwilling to deal with rioters and looters...obviously much is not known yet, but the differing reactions at this point looks quite prejudicial on the part of governing authorities...
Maybe that "vigilante group" should focus their efforts on the Governor and Mayor then

· Registered
1,707 Posts
If the people in charge don't start putting an end to this I don't see it ending well for anyone.
When the protesters started committing illegal acts that would not be permitted by other groups, the went from from being protesters to violent bullies. Appeasing a bully will never get you peace. It only validates their behavior to themselves and makes them worse. They only stop when the victim uses equal or greater force.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

· Registered
899 Posts
This is exactly why I don’t like to see people making a show with their weapons. They did it in Virginia and in Michigan and it’s a incident waiting to happen. They will be labeled “ White supremacists in the next few days. The fact that the mayor and the Governor want to throw the book at them tells how this is going to go and it’s not good for us gun people.
I was one of the organizers of the Virginia Lobby Day and with 22,000 plus pro-gun protesters, there was not a single incident or even a near incident. I don't agree with what the "militia" did in this current incident, but I would not conflate it with Lobby Day. Completely different scenario in so many ways.

· Registered
17,556 Posts

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.