National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Yesterday my father and I were discussing what the Pos and Cons of metal and polymer magazine are for the AR platform. What do you all think about this?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
My DPMS .308 came with 2 metal mags.
I have since bought many 20 round P Mags for it.
They work great and have given me no issues.
They are also much lighter to carry as the .308 is getting up there in weight of the rifle and also the ammo.
All in all both will work but the Polymer P Mags are great and I give them the advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
The only downside I give to poly are that if they are loaded for extended period of time (like 6 mo) I have found the sides flex and bind the rounds in place so they won’t feed. They can usually be broken free by depressing the rounds and releasing them, sometimes it takes more than once. I can’t speak for metal mags.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Well it's going to depend on the brands you choose as well. There are some absolute junk mags out there made in both materials and some that are great. I bought a bunch of pro mag metal mags for my AR's. They worked great for awhile but now i have 2 or 3 that always double feed when i get down to 2 rounds. I also have some P mags that haven't given me a problem yet.
Metal feed lips can bend or dent from being dropped. From some stuff i read recently some polymer mags can expand when left loaded for periods of time. I would just buy higher quality mags in whatever material you choose and stay away from the cheap junk.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I fail to see why anyone would buy anything but Pmags. They just work. Forever it seems. I have one metal mag and a couple of Hexmags None are reliable. But all my Pmags are. 100%

1 - 8 of 8 Posts