National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a left handed shooter, but I'm using a DPMS M16 that was made for right handed people, so the shells fly by and hot gas is spread on my face.

I can handle this for about 20 shots of so, but then my eyes start to burn as if i was sprayed by pepper spray.

This problem affects my time, money, and scarily enough my accuracy (drastically).

Any suggestions on were to buy left handed m16/ar15?

(i prefer DPMS):4::mad2::yikes1::13:

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Sell the upper receiver... and find yourself a lefty... check gunbroker.com
You may end up paying a few more bucks out of pocket... but it'll be well worth it.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I am right handed, but I am left eye dominate so I learned to fire rifle ambidextrous.

With the brass deflector you should not have a problem unless you do not have enough eye relief. Same for the gasses. Try to back your nose off the charging handle and see if that helps. It should save you some money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tend to keep my cheek on the part of the stock right behind the reciever since i use X2 red dot sights. I just dont like the hot gas getting in my eyes, although the casings are no probvlem since i keep my right eye shut.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I tend to keep my cheek on the part of the stock right behind the reciever since i use X2 red dot sights. I just dont like the hot gas getting in my eyes, although the casings are no probvlem since i keep my right eye shut.
I have never heard of anyone having that problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sell the upper receiver... and find yourself a lefty... check gunbroker.com
You may end up paying a few more bucks out of pocket... but it'll be well worth it.

I know, but I love the barrol that I have, accutech 1/9 twist barrol with build in flash supressor and the barrol that extends after the gas port is made extra thick like a silencer. How cool is that?

When i dont want my shots to be supressed, i use normal ammo, wyen i want them to be suppresed, i use subsonic.

The ultimate stealth weapon, and i dont know how to remove the barrol from the frame. :(

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I could be wrong, but you should be able to detach (or pay a good gunsmith to detach) the barrel from the upper receiver and replace the upper receiver with a left-hand upper, for a relatively minimal cost. I don't see why you would have to replace your barrel as well. But I'm relatively new to the AR15/M16 world. Whatever you decide though, best of luck with it.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Check your larger outdoors stores. I take most of my gunsmithing needs to Gander Mountain. They have a gunsmith in the back of the store who does really good work. I know there are some Ganders in TN, Knoxville, for example, but if it's too far of a drive, won't be worth it. But, like I said, good luck in whatever route you choose.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
1. Using ball-peen hammer and 5/64 inch diameter
drive pin punch, drive spring pin (1) (which retains
the gas tube) out of front sight assembly (2).

2. Slide gas tube (3) back into upper receiver
assembly (4) to clear front sight assembly (2).
Then lift slightly, pull forward, and remove gas
tube (3).
3-30

3. Position upper receiver and barrel assembly (5) in barrel removal fixture (6) and secure both In machinist’s
vise (7).

4. Using combination wrench (8) and 12 inch drive handle, remove compensator (9).

5. Remove peel washer (10) being careful not to
lose or bend thin sections.

6. Remove upper receiver and barrel assembly (5)
from barrel removal fixture and machinist’s vise.

7. Place upper receiver and barrel assembly (5) Into barrel removal fixture (6) and clamp Into machinist’s vise
(7).

NOTE
Be sure all three drive pins on combination wrench are fully engaged with barrel nut assembly.
Wrench must be pushed toward upper receiver assembly to compress the slip ring spring In barrel

nut assembly. Do not use a torque wrench to loosen the barrel nut assembly.
8. Using ’2 Inch drive handle and combination wrench (8), loosen barrel nut assembly (11)

9. Separate upper receiver assembly (4) from barrel assembly (12)

10. Remove barrel assembly (12) from machinist’s vise and barrel removal fixture

11. Remove retaining ring (13) using retaining ring pliers.

12. Remove slip ring spring (14) and handguard slip ring (15).

13. Do not remove barrel nut (16) from barrel assembly (12).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, thanks.

And this is a genuine m16 used during Vietnam war, only got the new barrol when I lived in florida

And I will try you "method" CDP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go with what others have said about the left eject upper, or get n external brass deflector, we use them in the military all the time on the range.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Lowepro

Banned

5letr -- Note that Mr. Lowepro is no longer with us on the forum.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I had the suspicion that the M16 was stolen. No civilian legal Vietnam use M16s exist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a left handed shooter, but I'm using a DPMS M16 that was made for right handed people, so the shells fly by and hot gas is spread on my face.

I can handle this for about 20 shots of so, but then my eyes start to burn as if i was sprayed by pepper spray.

This problem affects my time, money, and scarily enough my accuracy (drastically).

Any suggestions on were to buy left handed m16/ar15?

(i prefer DPMS):4::mad2::yikes1::13:
Hi.

I've been around M-16's, M-4's, and AR-15's and most of the variations of these on an almost daily basis since 1991. I've shot em, built em, machined them, yada, yada.

Unless your rifle is just an oddity the "gas in the eye" problem your experiencing isn't going to get any better with a left handed gun.

The problem is where the charging handle, upper receiver, and lower receiver all come together.

Direct gas operating systems are a mess because they also like to run wet and this only personifies the problem as now you have a nice hot mist of oil getting shot at you too.

The solution used by a number of accomplished NRA Highpower Service Rifle shooters is to seal off this area with some black RTV silicone. Clean one side squeaky clean and put some wax on the other to act as a release agent. It's a fix that requires maintenance. It will wear off and have to be repeated but it does mitigate the problem.

Good luck.

Chad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts