National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone, first post here and totally new to the forum. I got a question about my Remington 870 Wingmaster. I bought a new 18" barrell for it and a mag extention tube and took it out to the pits and there seems to be a bit of a problem. It fires with massive kickback, before it would shoot just fine with the original barrell and without the extention tube. But now it kicks hard and loosens everything on my gun, the buttstock, the tube, the cartridge holder I have on the receiver, it even unlocks and pushes back the buttstock when I have it adjusted. Like I said, with the old 26" barrell and no extention tube it fired just fine but i'm wondering now what it could be.
There may be a culprit, I was firing 3" shells when I just recently discovered my receiver only fires 2 3/4" or less, after reading it on the original barrell. This would explain a whole lot since it jammed once and the recoil is like getting punched in the shoulder. I'm new to firearms so i'm trying to learn as I go, and I guess it's through messing up. Anyone got a second opinion?

·
Registered
61 Posts
There’s quite a bit going on.

Yes, the chamber is made for 2.75”. If you place a longer shell in, you are essentially jamming it in. It won’t open at the pressure is should..and you will generate more pressure. Hence the punch I’m the shoulder.

Some makers over bore to make a better pattern or use forcing cones to string the shot before it hits the Choke.

If seen certain brands recoil harder that others on tight chokes
, ie turkey or full.

Join a shotgun club that shoots skeet, trap and sporting clays.. you’ll love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Your receiver was meant to fire 2 3/4" shells. Do not use 3" shells even if the barrel will accept them.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
The cartridge length is the FIRED hull length. By putting a 3" shell you are coming close to having a KABOOM from a serious pressure spike.

And what exactly does this:
it even unlocks and pushes back the buttstock when I have it adjusted
mean?

Reactions: Stevejet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cartridge length is the FIRED hull length. By putting a 3" shell you are coming close to having a KABOOM from a serious pressure spike.

And what exactly does this: mean?
I have an Archangel Tactical Shotgun stock, and I adjust it back, everytime when I fire it pushes forward and locks two or three paces in front.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
I have an Archangel Tactical Shotgun stock, and I adjust it back, everytime when I fire it pushes forward and locks two or three paces in front.

OK, gotcha, thought you still had the nice Wingmaster wood on it. One thing I'll give Remington, the wood they put on their Wingmaster and 1100 sporting guns was always top notch.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
ALL of the 'problems' you mention are the result of using 3" shells. Stop it.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
Just because you can fit a golf ball in your mouth, doesn’t mean you should try to swallow it. See what I’m getting at? Your throat was never meant to handle something that big. It’s the same with you’re shotgun. There’s a reason for all that ridiculous writing on the gun and manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts