National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this question asked anywhere, and I'm pretty sure it's not at all likely to happen, but here's my question:

I have a sound system in my car. A loud sound system. Transporting guns requires ammo and guns in two seperate compartments. So if I keep my ammo in my trunk, would it even be possible for the extreme vibration to ignite a couple shells and blow some holes in my car? Since I've been putting ammo in my trunk I haven't turned it up loud at all. I'm just wondering that if I do, is it going to have a bad result? I've gone over it a couple times in my head and this still seems like a really stupid question, but I'd just like to know for sure and be as safe as possible. Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated. In advance, thanks :)

-Chad

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,728 Posts
I seriously doubt it.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
My friend shattered his rear window with his stereo once.... anyways, that's besides the point. Just don't turn up the music all the way and you won't have to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
At the risk of sounding O-L-D...OK, I don't really give a rip if I sound O-L-D...some of the BWOOM-BWOOM rapmobiles we have around here seem as though they could set off the ammo in MY carry when they roll by. Damn, I hate those things and I even LIKE lowwwwd music! 'Cept I just don't consider that crap music...
OK, so I'm

A N Y W A Y...If you're talking about your own ammo going off in your own car, here's my theory: If your BWOOM-BWOOM BOX could actually generate enough concussion to set off the primers in your stored ammunition, Your flippin' BRAIN will have already leaked out of your EARS, which will either render the whole discussion moot or turned you into an anti-gun DUMBOCRAT by that time, anyway.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gunrnr said:
At the risk of sounding O-L-D...OK, I don't really give a rip if I sound O-L-D...some of the BWOOM-BWOOM rapmobiles we have around here seem as though they could set off the ammo in MY carry when they roll by. Damn, I hate those things and I even LIKE lowwwwd music! 'Cept I just don't consider that crap music...
OK, so I'm

A N Y W A Y...If you're talking about your own ammo going off in your own car, here's my theory: If your BWOOM-BWOOM BOX could actually generate enough concussion to set off the primers in your stored ammunition, Your flippin' BRAIN will have already leaked out of your EARS, which will either render the whole discussion moot or turned you into an anti-gun DUMBOCRAT by that time, anyway.

Well it's a good thing I'm into old rock & roll and country then huh? :lol:

And I figured I was worrying about nothing for no reason. It takes a whole lot more than some heavy vibration to ignite a primer. Even in the cheap stuff :lol: Thanks for the responses though :)

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Dont worry about it. Nothing is going to happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, they wont go off, but even if they did, they wouldnt be "making holes" in your car unless they wee chambered in a weapon. if a cartridge goes off without the brass being supported, it will blow out, and not focus that energy into propelling the projectile.

what i would worry about though, if you are keeping them in there for a good while, and the stereo is causing them to vibrate excessively, i could have the same effect as putting then in a tumbler. the powder could break down and cause a SERIOUS overpressure problem when you try to fire it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You just answered my question. If there's no barrell to keep the gases behind the projectile and keeping it pointed in a single direction then wouldn't it just peter out pretty quick? Thanks deth502, I was about to go hold the brass and hit the primer with a screwdrier to find out :)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gunrnr said:
OK, so I'm

BawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwHawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! That is so damn funny I spit coffee all over the keyboard.

I just want to add one thing. If we are concerned about a police stop with guns and ammo in the car why would we crank up the sound system so loud that it would attract attention to oneself. Don't make any kind of logical sense to me. I would reserve the rock concert in the car for times when I was not packing guns. Just my personal opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Police around here see the loud systems so much that they aren't too concerned about somebody bumping down the street :lol:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Here is how it is. If you are blasting your tunes and your woofer is gasping for breath and you feel a warm liquid feeling on your leg or other parts of your body and you see that it is blood, you may want to seriously consider turning down the tunes. Know why?

:--- :--- :---'Cause some one is shooting at you, that's why. -I -I -I

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
deth502 said:
no, they wont go off, but even if they did, they wouldnt be "making holes" in your car unless they wee chambered in a weapon. if a cartridge goes off without the brass being supported, it will blow out, and not focus that energy into propelling the projectile.
A look at the Mythbusters confirms this.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I had the same concern regarding storing my ammo so it would be safe in the event of a house fire.

Since the expansion of the gas would not be contained in a barrel, there's no concern.

That's what I get for watching westerns where ammo is thrown into a campfire so it shoots at everyone sleeping around it.

Damn you, Holllywood!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be careful when you say that things are safe. For instance if you put rounds into a safe and then the rounds cook off you run the risk of having a mechanical explosion similar to a pipe bomb. So make sure your safe is rated for holding X pounds of ammunition or gun powder.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Vibration set off ammunition? Huh? Loud noise set off ammo? HUH?

If vibration or loud noise could set off ammo, then every B-17 in WW2 would have exploded on take-off.
Every P-51 would have turned into a fire ball just after lift off. Every B-24, B-25, B-26, etc... would have exploded
just before reaching flying speed.

Duh!

How 'bout jets? Every F-86 in the Korean "War" would also have exploded.

Do I need to go on?

DUH!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
OM44 said:
Vibration set off ammunition? Huh? Loud noise set off ammo? HUH?

If vibration or loud noise could set off ammo, then every B-17 in WW2 would have exploded on take-off.
Every P-51 would have turned into a fire ball just after lift off. Every B-24, B-25, B-26, etc... would have exploded
just before reaching flying speed.

Duh!

How 'bout jets? Every F-86 in the Korean "War" would also have exploded.

Do I need to go on?

DUH!
NO

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
This is starting to look like...

...Let me rephrase this...

This is another example of The NGF Wrecking Crew hijacking one of its own threads. It had been a while. It was overdue. But we, indeed, dued it.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Guy Fox said:
Be careful when you say that things are safe. For instance if you put rounds into a safe and then the rounds cook off you run the risk of having a mechanical explosion similar to a pipe bomb. So make sure your safe is rated for holding X pounds of ammunition or gun powder.
Yup.

That's why a locking cabinet is a better choice for storing ammo. Or just keeping it on a shelf.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No.
One, the primer's not going to go off from loud music.
Two, even if it does, the case is going to go farther than the bullet. The lighter object is going to have more power and go further. If it's in an ammo can it won't go anywhere.
I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts