National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't we send private messages to another member like we used to, there's "conversation" that can includes god knows how many peoples in it. It would be fun to have the "illusion" of having private messages again even though we all know nothing written here is private.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The start conversation allows you to list who you want in your PM. One or multiple persons.
Allows you to lock response to your conversation or to allow/not allow those your list to invite others into the conversation. You still can have a private conversation with another member. It just looks different.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
Conversations are the same as PMs. I can assure you that at the mod level we can NOT see your conversations. I do not know what the Admin can or can't see.

Reactions: Kobs

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
Conversations/PM's are private and I would think even at the Admin level they can not see private conversations either.
My guess would be there is a way to do it if a legal need arose but I don't think they can normally see them in their day to day activities. I have been told they cant on other forums. I've always been told private messages are exactly that... private.

That said they are being sent through a platform so at some point along the way I don't think it's unreasonable to think that someone somewhere outside of the intended audience could see them.

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
Conversations are the same as PMs. I can assure you that at the mod level we can NOT see your conversations. I do not know what the Admin can or can't see.
Good because we’ve been talking about the mods for weeks.
So all of those naked pics Of myself I’ve sent to other forum members are still private? Good because I dont want to start sending them to more members. I’m a private guy.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote " I don't think it's unreasonable to think that someone somewhere outside of the intended audience could see them. "

Yup even your e-mails can be read by so many peoples you don't even know... Technology for you Eh! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Speed

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
Same goes for your text messages on your phone.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
click your avatar upper right corner and conversations

·
Super Moderator
11,355 Posts
If you can type it into your computer, someone, somewhere, can read it.

Just sayin'..............

--Wag--

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you can type it into your computer, someone, somewhere, can read it.

Just sayin'..............

--Wag--
True, I'm sure, but there are ways to keep it to a minimum and make them work for it. There are VPNs and encrypted email lists. I have used both. The NSA can probably still look at my stuff, but some average hacker probably can't.

BTW, I was asked to do a presentation on cyber security last year, from the perspective not of an expert, but an average user who thought he was taking good precautions and still got hacked. I did a lot of research for the presentation and two genuine cyber-security experts attended and said they liked it and they even learned a couple of things they didn't know.

There are things everyone can do to be a lot more secure, but the interesting thing is even though most people know most of those things, they don't do them. Most hacks of people's communications and information are "invited in" by something the user did or didn't do that they knew was not good practice, but went ahead anyway.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Where do we look to find private messages?
In the upper right corner where your avatar sits, there will be a small red dot alerting you to any PM, replies to threads, likes you have received, etc.

Reactions: Rivervalley0311

·
Registered
545 Posts
Conversations/PM's are private and I would think even at the Admin level they can not see private conversations either.
My guess would be there is a way to do it if a legal need arose but I don't think they can normally see them in their day to day activities. I have been told they cant on other forums. I've always been told private messages are exactly that... private.

That said they are being sent through a platform so at some point along the way I don't think it's unreasonable to think that someone somewhere outside of the intended audience could see them.
If it is stored in the database of the forum, it came be retrived and seen if needed. Keep in mind that the owners are held responsible to some extent if illgeal things are going on even through PM's or Conversations. This I know, since I was an admin on another forum.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
NSA..........."no secrets allowed"

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to say since I'm Canadian it's not as bad for me but that Co. who bought all the gun sites is Canadian based

1 - 17 of 17 Posts