National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your personal solution when a hot primer needs to be removed from unloaded brass? Do you attempt to pop it out? Manual says this is a no no! Do you do it anyway?

Do you fire it? Toss it out?

Ever have one go off in an enclosed room, garage, basement, etc?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have some blunt depriming pins that I use and I've never had a problem. In fact, the only primer KB I've had was with an RCBS APS (press mounted), using it as it was designed to be used. Eight primers blew. No injuries, just a serious laundry problem. I called RCBS to tell them what occurred and to get the fried parts replaced. One minute in to the conversation, the guy was giving me the third degree and then he jumped my case for not wearing safety glasses.

Now I thought that was pretty slick -- Think about it: Customer calls with an issue that could potentially involve legal exposure for your company. Make customer admit that he wasn't wearing safety glasses, which your company's manual states that he should be wearing. Then deflate customer and give your company's attys a legal "out".

Oh, then he asked how many primers blew. I told him eight. He says, "OK, that's the way it's designed. There should be no more than eight primers involved in the unplanned ignition." UNPLANNED IGNITION??? WTF??? I had to wonder if this guy was a former government spokesperson! We went from an "unplanned ignition" to a "planned safety feature" in one sentence.

G

·
Started loading in Feb and have had only 2 "go-wrongs", stuck case and a primer in backwards.
I "VERY" gently decapped it and seated it right and fired it soon after. Didn't want it in the system.
:---
just me

G

·
A Gentle nudge with a Flat punch the wright :!: size should move it, u would be surprised wat U can get away with.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have reloaded for since the 1970's and my first primer went off when I was attempting to save some brass and remove a primer that was installed at an angle. I was in a hurry and had to hit it pretty hard with the decapping pin to made it go off. I had removed the powder measure and the other primers in the tube before my accident. This was last year and it made me jump about a foot out of the chair. I had all the safety gear on and it did not cause any damage. Sounded like a Cherry Bomb though and I didn't breathe for a time to see if my wife had heard the bang!

She brought it up later, she had heard it but was not concered because I had wandered out of the garage whistling with my eyes up to the ceiling pretending nothing had happened.

They warn you not to decap live primers but I now know that they come out quite easily if you don't put a lot of pressure on the pin and rarely pop. It took a lot of force to make it go off.

Always wear proper protection for your eyes and long sleves. Keep your face away from the press if and when you attempt to decap a live primer. My advice it don't do it and follow the manual to the letter. But some of us are cheap and hard headed and must take the risk for some unknown reason.

G

·
sig232 said:
I have reloaded for since the 1970's and my first primer went off when I was attempting to save some brass and remove a primer that was installed at an angle. I was in a hurry and had to hit it pretty hard with the decapping pin to made it go off. I had removed the power measure and the other primers in the tube before my accident. This was last year and it made me jump about a foot out of the chair. I had all the safety gear on and it did not cause any damage. Sounded like a Cherry Bomb though and I didn't breathe for a time to see if my wife had heard the bang!

She brought it up later, she had heard it but was not concered because I had wandered out of the garage whistling with my eyes up to the ceiling pretending nothing had happened.

They warn you not to decap live primers but I now know that they come out quite easily if you don't put a lot of pressure on the pin and rarely pop. It took a lot of force to make it go off.

;)

Always wear proper protection for your eyes and long sleves. Keep your face away from the press if and when you attempt to decap a live primer. My advice it don't do it and follow the manual to the letter. But some of us are cheap and hard headed and must take the risk for some unknown reason.

G

·
How much pressure did I put on mine? Like I was trying to walk on eggs with out cracking one. :roll: :---
just me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts