National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering why there is a price difference between Taurus revolvers and S & W models.

I just bought a S & W Model 10 for about $590, but have seen a Taurus version for $390.

I've heard Taurus is a lower quality manufacturer...is this true?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,105 Posts
The S&W revolvers cost more than Taurus revolvers for the same reason that Cadillacs cost more than Saturns.

Ya gets what ya pays for.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Check out some earlier threads about some of our experiences with Taurii. Do a search for "Taurus" or "Taurus quality". Popeye tells the truth.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
No comparison on quality and workmanship.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
At the 2001 IRC, Taurus had a display/advertising table. IIRC there was not one brand in that match other than S&W. I MIGHT try a Taurus 7 or 8 shooter IF they gave me a full sponsorship, guns, components, match fees. Otherwise I would pay my own way and use S&W. Give you some idea of the quality differences?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
First, when yuget a minute, head over to the new members section and tell us a little about yourself.

Second, I have 2 Taurus revolvers. The first one I purchaed whipped with a loose ejector rod that caused the cylinder to jam. It was easy enough to fix, but should not have shipped that way. The second has (so far) been OK.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
I've had a stainless Taurus 431 for a long time as a "semi-disposable" home defense weapon (in other words, if it got taken into evidence I'd want it back, but I wouldn't worry about it overmuch). It's what you might call over-built, as they basically took a medium frame and stuck a five round .44 cylinder into it. The window is a little large. However, that thing is very sturdy. It's not the most accurate gun I have, but those holes it makes are huge. No malfunctions or other problems in fifteen years.

I did, however, buy a cute little stainless Taurus 94 nine shooter for plinking. It looked great, it felt great, it shot sh*tty. I traded that one away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts