National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is freakin out, tried to talk me out of sending her. It’s not that she hates guns, just that she doesn’t want to shoot in front of people and the class is this weekend.

So... I’ve always taught her to shoot 15-20 yards. With the 380, she does that well. I took her out back after work and had her start with the .22 S&W thinking the lessened recoil might help her stay on target when nervous. She also hadn’t been out there in a while. It is dimensionally identical to her 380 EZ. I was wrong. After 3 mags, I went and got her 380. She still shoots it more accurate than the .22.

She was under the impression she was going to be shooting at the normal distance we shoot. Needless to say she was relieved when I walked out 10 yards and said that this was the longest shot she’d have to take and most shots would be much closer. We weren’t going to shoot any closer because we were hitting steel, not paper.

Long story short, I told her that her shots would be timed but it sounds worse than it really is. We ran some drills with 10 mags (80 shots) and under that stress she’s getting 3” groups at 10 yards. I just told her to relax, she’s probably a better shot than most the guys in the class.

She’ll be taking her 380 to class.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
is she accustomed to other gunfire from shooters while she is on the line?

i am sold on the electronic ear muffs.....wish i had went that route years ago.

Reactions: HK Nut and Stamps6

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is she accustomed to other gunfire from shooters while she is on the line?

i am sold on the electronic ear muffs.....wish i had went that route years ago.
Yes sir, I intentionally stand at the next target or 2 over and shoot while she is aiming. Have even done a few mag dumps to see if it bothered her. She’s solid but like she said, she knows me so the pressure is less. I don’t think she’ll have a problem.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Of she shoots like that, I should say not. She is probably better than most others will be. And if anything, intimidate them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
How many shots is her CCW class? here in FLorida, it was 5 shots @7 yards; and all you had to do was hit the paper somewhat close to the center.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You take 50 shots but I believe its only 30 scored for the actual test. 10 shots @3 yards, 10 @7 yards and 10 @10 yards. I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In Texas, 20 at 3yds, 20 at 7yds and 10 at 15yds. Even the worst shooter in my class of 18 made it.
Judging by her group, she will do just fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
My wife would be the kind to be stressed about that also. I have learned from hard experience trying to teach females in my family to shoot, drive a stick and play guitar that an over-enthusiastic male relative instructor (like me) is actually the source of most of the anxiety, even though the females involved will never admit it and will come up with other reasons they are freaking out. This was hard for me to face up to. After all, I meant well and had all that expertise, right? That's where I was totally missing the point like a lot of guys do.

A lot of ranges offer ladies only CCW classes with female instructors. That is what my wife went through and she actually enjoyed it. I did not prep her at all and she did fine. I'm glad I did it that way.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty patient. I want her to like it. Just encourage even if it makes you cringe sometimes. The only part I am a stickler on is safe handling and making sure she is a safe distance from the target (especially when they first start shooting).

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Earlier today, my brother was going on about one of the classes he took several years ago. Said there was one of those guys that knows everything. Brought his new Glock in, sat in the front of the class, raised his hand for every question, half the answers were wrong, then it came time for the shooting test. The instructor gave him the go and this idiot managed to shoot out one of the overhead lights on the first shot. Instructors stopped everyone and examined his gun to make sure it wasn’t a malfunction, handed it back to him and made him start over. Somehow, this guy passed... I about died laughing, if that wasn’t karma I don’t know what is.

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Anytime you’re going to be scored, be it in a competition or a CCW class, it raises your anxiety level. It’s natural. I had to take a rifle course to hunt with a muzzle loader, even though I took it about 25 years ago. I lost my certification and the state didn’t have it ether. I got to the firing line and I was nervous, which surprised myself. Funny thing was we were shooting a shotgun. I was the first shooter and about 10 new hunters were watching me. I dusted the first clay. The instructor looked at me and asked “Why are you here?”. I told him and he asked if I could work the trap so he could stay with the beginners. Of course I helped him and we had a great time.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone interested, this was my 16 shot group with that .45 Metro Arms American Classic 1911. Shoots a little high at 10 yards but not a lot.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, she got the bug now. She asked me about the Women's only class next weekend. I said go for it. Apparently she's taking one of my sisters. I reached out to see if her sister wants to go too. Looks like things are about to get interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
An engineer I’m friendly with is a big shooter. A real 1911 guy too! He got his wife shooting and now she’s a NRA instructor. It cost him a bunch of money but they have no kids and real good jobs. The money they spent on guns could put a kid threw college.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Yep, sometimes no kids has its advantages. Someone on one of these forums posted a meme of a real nice Porsche 911 whose license read "NOKIDS" - that's how you afford those things.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts