National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we all heard plenty of discussions of Ruger versus S&W, S&W versus Taurus, etc, but what is your preferred barrel length in wheel guns?

I enjoy fast shooting and looking at my guns I find that I have more four inch barrels than any other length.
A four inch is giving good accuracy and speed and I prefer the balance over that of six inch barrels.

Five inch N frames are my next favorite.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Four to six pretty much covers it for me. I have a 2" S&W Mod 12 that I've owned for >30 yrs. It was a great off-duty gun in it's day and still accompanies me, on occasion. But there are better to be found.

G

·
i only own a snubbie. not a big wheel gun guy but my dads ruger security six was always fun to shoot. i think it was a 4in model

i find that the sight radius with the 4in weapons is easyier and faster to pick up

·
Banned
818 Posts
I have always been a fan of long bbls. 10" and over. I been like that since I used to have a 1858 Army cap and ball revolver. It was the model with a 12" bbl. I LOVED IT AND ITS ACCURACY! I'm not too much of a fan of snubbies because I hate the jerky recoil. I do however have a Ruger Security Six with a 4" bbl. It's not too hard on me, but with hot loads it's a different story. Sure turns a lot of heads at a handgun range. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I only have one revolver a the present time. It's a Taurus Tracker 445 wit a 6 1/2" barrell. I had a 7" Super Blackhawk 44mag quite some time ago. Having shot some of my friends shorter wheelgun's, I seem to like the longer one's best.

·
Registered
213 Posts
6" bbl for the accuracy, you can shoot tighter groups at the range, with a bigger caliber you can cause serious terror and damage to game animals and a wheelgun with a 6" bbl just looks badazzzz!!!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Most of my revolvers are 4".

I liked my former 6" python a lot and found it to be exceptionaly accurate. The three inch ones are worth big money.

For carry I will take the little stubbies.

·
Registered
648 Posts
6-8 in wheel guns although I just bought a Magnum Research 45-70 with a 10 and I like it.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
I like the compact 4" Barrel. Easy to Carry.

G

·
I have two revolvers.
One Smith 638 .38 that I carry every day.
1 7/8"
And a 7 shot Smith 686 .357 Mag that rarely comes out. 4" barrel.
I do carry it in my truck during the summer.
I wanted the 6" inch but it just wasn't practical to carry for self defense.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
4' is my favorite over all, but I did dump a S&W model 19 4" for a 686 6" because I wanted something with a heavier frame to handle hotter loads, and give me a little more punch for hunting. I miss the the K frame 4", but going with the 6" L frame for hunting was the right thing to do. Deadly on boar, and looking forward to going for deer with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts