National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here seeking info... Through a family connection, I've been approached about selling a pre-WWII double rifle. I'm a hunter not a gun collector so please bear with me as I search for info. The rifle is complete and in rather good condition with minimal pitting only on the metal work at the edges of the chambers. It was made by the Krupps factory in Germany. All the numbers on the parts seem to match so it looks original. It has quite a bit of decorative hand work on the screws as well as the rest of the receiver and has the original leather case. The forestock is delicate in construction and has really gentle lines. It has double triggers. There is original marking in German at the safety and on the side of the stock is a metal tag with a signature and words in German. It looks to me like it may have been a presentation gift to someone. The rifle is short in length and has a rather short stock. It has a scope mount attached and the original scope is in the case. The scope has a single post and the view is pretty clear. Looks like about 4 power but that's just my guess. The rifle has iron front and rear sights. The rifle has thick barrels with clear rifling inside. Condition inside the barrels looks really good. Overall it is a beautiful gun but I need info to figure it's worth. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
welcome to the form and please feel free to go to the new member thread and introduce your self as for your double question do you have any pics you could post

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
where is that tag that has Heinrich Himmler name on it - Do you know who he is if not you should search him - he was the chief of the German police in Nazi Germany and responsible for the extermination of some 6 million Jews a very powerful man in Hitlers world - if this is his shotgun you have an impressive piece of history and should have it checked out by someone who knows more about it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I looked him up. Based on a translation from German on the shield it looks like it says - To good friend Heinrich Himmler Christmas 1936 Good hunting Herman Goering . Now I'm no expert so I'm asking you guys to take a look at it. The shield is on the rear of the stock. From what I found out this Goering and Himmler were avid hunters and friends until late in the war. Both were top dogs under Hitler. So, if this is what it seems to be... this rifle is a one of a kind. Are there any experts on this forum that can help? Thanks you.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I am no expert either I was not sure of the bottom signature nor did I cross any of the wording - I not sure where you are but this is one that should be looked at by someone who could hold and view the gun and has knowledge of both Himmler and Goering as this item will have value in both the gun and the WWII history market but the greater value I believe will be in the WWII history part due to the names on the gun

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This gun needs authentication - it could be very valuable due to the connection with two of the top NAZI officials. It is only a gun, not an evil, magical talisman.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Take it to a university (clear this with the staff by phone first!) and have it researched by their history department/ professors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. According to the shield, the gun was a gift before the war started but yes I was wary of the connections to these people. Trying to authenticate it now.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
keep us informed on what you find out - I for one would like to know more - how did the family that owns it acquire it - was it a WWII bring back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts