National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new hand gun owner how many rounds do you average in learning how to shoot? I believe I've got the basics down of grip and stance (thanks to Todd Jarret on Youtube).

While I'm tempted to practice on a .22 for economic reasons I really want to be proficient with my .40 cal.

How often do you practice and what practice drills would you recommend for someone who can spend 50 rounds / week ?

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
You cannot practice enough to get to the point where you can stop practicing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've probably shot 300 rounds over the last 30 days of .223 and 200 of .22lr. Every time I go out shooting, I notice a little improvement but there is always room to get better.

Check out the post on recoil anticipation; you should get into a good habit with something economical then continue to progress with the .40. After switching to a .22 from the .223, I am correcting some bad habits and forming new good ones. Practice makes everyone better no matter how long they have been doing it.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
You cannot practice enough to get to the point where you can stop practicing.
Very true. Being proficient with a firearm is a perishable skill, so training is a life long thing.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reminder never to stop practicing. I never suggested I would ever stop. My original question was how often should I practice and what practice drills would you recommend (if any).

Thanks

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Thanks for the reminder never to stop practicing. I never suggested I would ever stop. My original question was how often should I practice and what practice drills would you recommend (if any).

Thanks
Very well. Star off simply by learning how to properly look down the sights, and hitting the target where you want. Once you have that down to a science you can move on to other things like drawing from the holster, multiple shots, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts

Thanks
The best advise anyone ever gave me is to practice what real life may throw you, not just range accuracy drills. Practice drawing, shooting, and reloading with your other hand. You could be injured and need these skills to get away alive. Practice you preparedness at home thouroughly as well. Be able to access your guns in total darkness. Organize your safe in a way so you can train yourself to reload or access other guns and load them quickly in darkness.

Definately get a .22, and one that operates similarly to your .40. It will be a big help with training. It's easier to identify and correct your bad habits with a light recoil.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't overlook airsoft.
Find one that mimics your .40, especially the blowback versions.
Lots of effective practice available every day, right at home.
Many experts do it. It works.
Also lots of dryfiring.
Check out Steve Anderson's dryfiring drills on youtube.
Just be danged sure the gun is empty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts