National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow reloaders, check out this mod for your powder measure. This fellow polished-up the funnel at the bottom of his powder measure to help it throw a more consistent charge. I have notice a problem in this area using really course-flaked powders like Blue Dot or Unique, and I generally gravitate toward fine powders like the AA line or 231 since they meter so well. I did this mod on my measure, but so far have only used 2400, which usually meters well anyway....each charge was the same...no variance on my electronic scale. Where I have notice a difference is the charge bar. I polished it up too and now it is really smooth. Give it a look.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154783

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Looks like it might be a good idea. I'm trying to think how that might translate to an RCBS measure. I'm not all that impressed with the consistency of weights from either of mine. Might give it a try.

G

·
I have done the same modification to my RCBS measure and it does help the metering quite a bit. I used 3 different grits of small sanding drums in my Dremel tool to do the major smoothing before I used the woven wheels to polish it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to get back to this and give an update after I used a different consistency powder. I was using IMR 4198, for .223, it threw 20.5 grains every time. The polishing works.

I am considering polishing up the primer cup bar, too. I have noticed that when the primer cup bar gums up with residue, it gets sticky and binds up. Usually, I will back off the two Allen headed bolts (slightly) that secure the primer assembly to the press if I dont want to take the time to tear it apart and give it a good cleaning. That will free it up, until I clean it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts