National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 16 so i legally cannot buy a firearm but i do understand a minor in my state, which is NC can posses one. Ive recently been getting into guns and ive been saving up money to buy ar-15 parts with an 80% receiver and milling it at home. But from my understanding a minor cannot have a gun license/permit, because of this i figured my parental guardian would have to get one but i have been recently talking to a friend of mine and he says i just need my parent to fill 4473 form. I was hoping someone here could clear up my confusion and help me out on possessing a weapon.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,057 Posts
Regardless of age, do not buy an 80% receiver, unless you have the proper equipment to do the milling and have experience using said equipment. A hand drill or drill press is not sufficient for finishing a 80% receiver. Also, it is illegal for you to finish an 80% receiver while you are under 18 years of age.

While you are under 18 years of age, your parents can not buy you a firearm. That would be considered a straw-man purchase and is illegal in most states. However they can let you use their long gun for hunting and target practice. It may not make sense, but it is the law.

Also keep in mind that your parents are legally responsible for your actions while you are under 18 years of age. So whatever you do with a firearm, they are legally and financially responsible. Lastly, it may be tempting to circumvent the law, but doing so may prevent you from ever owning a firearm in the future.

· Registered
288 Posts
Im 16 so i legally cannot buy a firearm but i do understand a minor in my state, which is NC can posses one. Ive recently been getting into guns and ive been saving up money to buy ar-15 parts with an 80% receiver and milling it at home. But from my understanding a minor cannot have a gun license/permit, because of this i figured my parental guardian would have to get one but i have been recently talking to a friend of mine and he says i just need my parent to fill 4473 form. I was hoping someone here could clear up my confusion and help me out on possessing a weapon.
Dittos to what Mad Scientist and Nrah explained. Do it the right way. Guns and everything surrounding guns is a lot of fun. However, know the laws and everything about safety etc.... See below.

https://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/north-carolina-gun-laws/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Regardless of age, do not buy an 80% receiver, unless you have the proper equipment to do the milling and have experience using said equipment. A hand drill or drill press is not sufficient for finishing a 80% receiver. Also, it is illegal for you to finish an 80% receiver while you are under 18 years of age.

While you are under 18 years of age, your parents can not buy you a firearm. That would be considered a straw-man purchase and is illegal in most states. However they can let you use their long gun for hunting and target practice. It may not make sense, but it is the law.

Also keep in mind that your parents are legally responsible for your actions while you are under 18 years of age. So whatever you do with a firearm, they are legally and financially responsible. Lastly, it may be tempting to circumvent the law, but doing so may prevent you from ever owning a firearm in the future.
Parents buy guns for their kids all the time; perfectly legal. Lots of kids get guns for Christmas; I gave one of my kids a gun for Christmas when he was 13.

Reactions: GeorgeandSugar

· Registered
4,756 Posts
I remember seeing back in late 60's a kid, maybe 12 or 14 riding his bicycle while holding a bb riffle, the kid. most likely was going to hunt some small animal, no one cared and no one complained.
If the same thing were to happens today, people would have panic, the police would have closed the area, the swap team would have shown up and the kid would have being arrested.
What have changed since the 60's?

Reactions: GeorgeandSugar

· Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Occasionally, I see the neighborhood kids heading out to the desert with their rifles to go target (or bunny) shooting. No biggie around here.

--Wag--

· Super Moderator
16,629 Posts
Back in the day, nobody got upset over kids with guns. You could tell at a glance if they were being safe. Nobody gave a hoot about a handgun. Nobody wanted them. They were what the police carried. Anybody who wanted to hunt anything had a rifle or a shotgun. Rifles were in short supply in South Louisiana. Shotguns were king. We hunted everything with shotguns. I don't remember anyone using slugs. Buckshot down to #8 (for doves). Guys had rifles for hunting deer out of state.

I'm not real sure how it went wrong.

Alan

Reactions: Wag

· Premium Member
9,943 Posts
I used to take my .22 Rifle on the bus to school and take it to my advisor’s closet to use after school in the rifle club. No big. Nobody cared. My HS had a 25 yard range in the basement.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
In my classroom, I have an Archie comic book from 1963. In it is an advertisement to entice kids to sell seeds to their neighbors. They are offering, to ship to kids, a 22 caliber rifle or a shotgun, depending on the number of seeds sold. I love making my kids (and coworkers) heads explode with that one.
Maybe scan it and post it up here; I'd love to copy it

Reactions: Jim T.

· AZHerper
6,352 Posts
I went to high school in SLC, Utah. We had a small-bore rifle range in the basement of the school for the ROTC. There was also an armory associated with the range that was stocked with 22 target rifles. I was taught to target shoot and earned my first marksmanship medals in the range in my high school. What a "crying shame" how things have changed.

· Super Moderator
6,148 Posts
Oh Gifford, is that you trying to illegally get a firearm again n drum up support for banning paper weights?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.