National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I'm a photographer seeking participants for a portrait series on gun owners in the United States.

I look to shoot the portraits at participants' homes as home protection for many represents a prime motivation for gun ownership. If participants feel another settings better represent their feelings on gun ownership, I am most certainly open to incorporating that into the portrait as well.

This is a self-assigned project (I'm footing all incurred expenses out of pocket) and I can't offer any payment for participating. I will, however, provide participants with a copy of their portrait. Additionally, you will be part of an online exhibition once the project completes.

Photography will commence this summer, so please email me asap at "[email protected]" if you'd like to participate.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Francesco

PS: Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you think might be interested.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I am pretty sure anyone interested in doing something like this would be interested in what you are trying to show or represent in your video's. In this day and age our concerns are how we as gun owners are portraid. Anytime someone goes on camera it seems someone wants to twist there story into some psycotic episode and portray us as parinoid. The left will use anything they can against us and we as gun owners and sportsmen need to protect our image. Knowing our current state of goverment this could end up costing someone there right to keep and bear arms. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Larry

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, let me point out that I intend to shoot photos, not videos.

The motivation for this series comes precisely from the messed up state of the discussion around gun ownership in the United States.

Following the discussion in the media, I feel that the people this actually concerns are largely invisible - or at least not as visible as they ought to be. It's largely politicians, functionaries and pundits that get exposure on this topic, whereas I don't really know what John Doe from down the street thinks or looks like, for that matter. The idea for the series is to remedy that and to show people that believe in gun ownership within a context that illustrates the reason for their beliefs. Part of the effect I intend to achieve is to show that people on this side of the debate are just that: people.

As I pointed out, these pictures will be shot at participant's homes, or some other place they feel comfortable. There won't be any caricature of gun owners as crazed and paranoid people, that is simply not my motivation.

And just to make this clear: I'm a freelance photographer. I don't work for any media organization.

Best,
Francesco

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

Good luck in your endeavor. I will not participate.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Hey Larry

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, let me point out that I intend to shoot photos, not videos.

The motivation for this series comes precisely from the messed up state of the discussion around gun ownership in the United States.

Following the discussion in the media, I feel that the people this actually concerns are largely invisible - or at least not as visible as they ought to be. It's largely politicians, functionaries and pundits that get exposure on this topic, whereas I don't really know what John Doe from down the street thinks or looks like, for that matter. The idea for the series is to remedy that and to show people that believe in gun ownership within a context that illustrates the reason for their beliefs. Part of the effect I intend to achieve is to show that people on this side of the debate are just that: people.

As I pointed out, these pictures will be shot at participant's homes, or some other place they feel comfortable. There won't be any caricature of gun owners as crazed and paranoid people, that is simply not my motivation.

And just to make this clear: I'm a freelance photographer. I don't work for any media organization.

Best,
Francesco
I appreciate what you may be trying to do, but you are asking people who are rightly concealing their weapons because they do so for security, Not for attention so we do not look to let folks know that we have a weapon. I think any person that would be interested in doing this is not going to be the normal gun owner you are looking to profile. You see we are normal everyday folks most of the time and we do not chase the fortune and fame of gun ownership. We enjoy shooting and weapons but we also understand this is not the wild west or the movies like is portaid on TV. None of these folks ever want to use there weapons in self defense, Thats is the difference in the folks doing all of these shootings they think it is like on TV.
GOOD LUCK ON THIS BUT I AM AFRAID YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT THERE.

PLEASE stay on here and look and learn about who we are and then maybe you will understand what I am trying to say. (not very well by the way)

Reactions: Matt C.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Not something I'd recommend anyone do. Letting a stranger into your home and displaying your personal weapons sounds like a recipe for disaster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts