National Gun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,938 Posts
At least they found the mold before finishing the work. Except for moving the vault, it would probably be easier/quicker to buy another house and sell the land your house is sitting on.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I thought they made a stuff now they spray on black mold and it kills it and does not harm wood, sheetrock etc.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
Meh! nothing is really effective except removing the affected area, I know I wouldn't try, specially with my health or anyone going towards the 70's or in it, I wouldn't want to die coughing blood if someone missed a spot and it grew back

I've seen reno TV shows where peoples in full asmat suits were actually using a grinder on the concrete once everything was down to that point

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I did some work in Carpinteria California a few years ago and the house had black mold. A very rich guys beach house in a private neighborhood with gates. They gutted the house and soda blasted the entire frame and even went over spots with tooth brush sized wire brushes. Then it was sprayed with some kind of sealant.
We changed some of the framing to suit the owner and came back to hang the doors and trim it out. I’ve never seen stuff like that here in NJ.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
This actually looks like what my dermatologist uses (smaller of course lol and it's nitrogen) for the thingys that grows on my skin because of the immuno suppression pills

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Insurance company offered to purchase the house. It was a very lowball bid. The price of the unimproved lot. My attorney laughed at them. Its a good thing I've kept every receipt for upgrades on the house. Repair work has slowed down... considerably since their offer was refused. Lawyer said this may take up to a year if the insurance company want to olay hardball. We'll see.
Anyway, I put a deposit down on a little two bedroom duplex today. Should be moving in within a week.
They're still paying for Leedia to stay at the Hilton. That's good. She wasn't real excited about the duplex. She's used to the 'finer' things in life.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,272 Posts
Yikes. Sounds like this is turning into a major [email protected]#k for you.
Sorry to hear.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,938 Posts
I'm not sure this will help or not. Over here on the right coast, we have the North Carolina Department of Insurance. They will step in and review disputes between residences of NC and their insurance companies. Keep in mind, the NCDI can't force the insurance companies to do anything, but they can levy finds and restrict/deny licenses to sell insurance within North Carolina. So it's in the best interest of insurance companies to keep the NCDI happy. I don't know if California has a Department of Insurance of how much or little they can help, but it might be an avenue worth investigating. Just saying.

·
53,706 Posts
The vault and its contents are uneffected by the 'disaster'. I have transport cases for every one of my firearms so I can 'just load them into a truck'. Albeit a big truck, but a truck nontheless.

My attorney is handling negotiations with the insurance company. He's on top of things. He's worth every penny I pay him.

Ya see? This has been quite stressful. It knocked me for a loop. Stress triggers my seizures. I've had more seizures in the last month than I've had since 1989. I spent the last month in a daze... when I was consious. I'm just now beginning to think clearly and rationally. Probably should have let them check me into the hospital but I didn't want to be there.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Except for moving the vault...

I suspect your vault is like my old vault. Can't be moved can it? Mine was as big as a 3 car garage with 18" solid rock walls, 10" rebar /feather light cement roof, 8" stressed slab, with a retired bank safety deposit vault entry door. It also could not be moved could not be moved.:mad5:

·
53,706 Posts
I suspect your vault is like my old vault. Can't be moved can it? Mine was as big as a 3 car garage with 18" solid rock walls, 10" rebar /feather light cement roof, 8" stressed slab, with a retired bank safety deposit vault entry door. It also could not be moved could not be moved.:mad5:
Quite similar although smaller. Nope, it cannot be moved.

·
Super Moderator
14,144 Posts
Every once in a while my computer will open this site.

Sorry you're going through this crap. This sort of thing is hard to deal with, ten fold when you're old.

You could always pack up and quit California!

Alan

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
Insurance Co. are the same everywhere, when it's time to pay, unless it's small potatoes they will fight you and make it as hard as it can hoping that you will say Ah f** it... or die under pressure, they know how it works they've done it a million times and yet we always think, I got to get insurance for this and that and we pay, every month till we need to collect and sh** like this happens. Imagine how much you've given them and how much interest they've made with your money all this time and now that you need it they act as if you were some stinking homeless begging for money. I despise them bastidges, they're the worst kind of blood suckers, they feed on your fear of what if and have no intention to pay you back. There should be a law to force those @ holes to pay when it's time.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Insurance company offered to purchase the house. It was a very lowball bid. The price of the unimproved lot. My attorney laughed at them. Its a good thing I've kept every receipt for upgrades on the house. Repair work has slowed down... considerably since their offer was refused. Lawyer said this may take up to a year if the insurance company want to olay hardball. We'll see.
Anyway, I put a deposit down on a little two bedroom duplex today. Should be moving in within a week.
They're still paying for Leedia to stay at the Hilton. That's good. She wasn't real excited about the duplex. She's used to the 'finer' things in life.
Why has the repair work slowed down? The restoration company works for YOU not the insurance company.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts