National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,068 Posts
Sounds like you did a stellar job building the gun vault. I will continue to keep you and now the pups in my prayers.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
It just burst all on its own. We were away for two days.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
DONT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY CHEAP OUT! They are experts at dodging a few expenditures. They should pay for the guys to help with removal of your personal stuff. Complete restoration and fight for every nickel. I have very little love for them. Even in a huge disaster area they don’t loose money, just some profit.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,964 Posts
My 11 year old dog is major stressed. The not-quite-two-year-old dog thinks its an adventure.
Most pet stores have "calming treats" for dogs. I'm not sure you want to go that route, but several years ago when we had the hardwood floors refinished, we spent the night hotel with our dogs while the floors dried. A calming treat for each dog had them mellowed out and relaxed.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,182 Posts
Popeye, very sorry to hear of this misfortune. I hope you and Leedi come out the other side as unscathed as possible.
No doubt its a huge PITA. As I said before hope it's resolved quickly and as uneventful as possible.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good idea to camp out in back yard with the dogs. Helps keep mischief makers away. Prayers for quick and painless as possible return to normalcy.

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
I did this three years ago with my dad's house. Got Serve Pro to do the remediation. After paying USAA many, many thousands of dollars for many years, they coughed up $12K ..... I dropped them like a hot rock.

I hope you get things lined out soon. Tent living for extended time is a young man's (and dog's) game.

Getting it all torn up "right now" is easy. Finding people to put it back together again "right now" is the hard part.

Good luck. Sorry you're having to do this.

Alan

·
53,782 Posts
I believe the same folks doing the 'destruction' will be doing the restoration. Good people... so far.

Yup. Tent living is a young man's game. My back says so,

I got my attorney on this in three days. Its amazing how everyone became more amenable after that. Things seem to be going smoothly.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,964 Posts
That's good news, Popeye! Hopefully you'll be back in your home soon!

FYI, make sure there is no 'release of liability' condition tied to restoration. Mold can creep back months later, if not done right.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I thought it was just in an entryway but definitely sounds catastrophic. The heavy rains we had caused water infiltration to a closet. The carpet got soaked and the water is creeping out into a bedroom. I know it's not even close but an inconvenience non the less. They always say it could have been a lot worse or lives could have been lost but when it happens to you it's bad enough.

I know a guy at work who had his mother in law visit then had a stroke. She survived but passed a few days later. My car blew a head gasket and didn't pass the emissions inspection. That seemed disastrous. Not to use the misery of others but there's always someone else in worse shape. Life goes on until it doesn't then all your problems will be over.

There's no way to predict a burst pipe but there are automatic main water valve turn off devices. I'm in semi-limbo now and looking for a house to move to. I plan on installing one of these devices to minimize catastrophic water damage in case of leaks. If you're not familiar with them here's some examples:

https://theplumbinginfo.com/auto-water-shutoffs-valves-preventing-water-damage-to-your-property/

https://www.consumerreports.org/home-maintenance-repairs/smart-home-devices-that-stop-leaks-and-water-damage/

https://www.diycontrols.com/t-automatic_water_shut_off_valves.aspx

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Breech won’t kill mold. It just makes it invisible. Make sure they’re using a long lasting anti microbial. Serve pro has excellent products.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,964 Posts
Any updates on Popeye??? Just concerned.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
53,782 Posts
I'm still alive and kicking.

This is going to take a while, folks. They found black mold inside the walls on the framing.

·
53,782 Posts
Pretty much

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,182 Posts
Man, that is no good. Hoping you guys catch a break.

Reactions: Kobs

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,407 Posts
Have you thought about getting out of that state, I mean if you do have to rebuild might as well do it somewhere else, could be a sign.
I know easier said than done, family friends and all

21 - 40 of 87 Posts