National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Beirut is a much nicer place - right on the Med, nice beaches, etc.........(just ignore the bombed out buildings)

Reactions: friendof2nd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, the UN indeed has a second seat in Geneva, Switzerland for exactly these situations. So from time to time, they hold the meetings there if the US does not grant the necessarry Visa.

But I am not sure if that is what Washington would like to see. So maybe it would be wise to distinguis between US and UN affairs. But that is just an European view on these aspects.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Maybe you folks in Europe should be paying your fair share instead of "allowing" the US to fund 25%+ of UN activities. ALL nations pay an equal share, no matter how rich or how poor since ALL nations have an equal voice. Move it from NY to some third world hellhole like Somalia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have a look at the UN budget: https://www.globalpolicy.org/un-finance/tables-and-charts-on-un-finance/member-states-assessed-share-of-the-un-budget.html

Indeed, US is paying 22%. However the EU States are paying also their share of about 30%.The UN General Assembly decides on the scale of assessments for contributions to the Regular Budget every third year. The scale of assessments reflects a country's capacity to pay (measured by factors such as a country's national income and size of population)

I would expect the people in NY to be not so happy of moving the UN away. Not sure for NY but for Geneva it creates a lot of income, for example, hotels, restaurants, jewlery stores :lol:

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
In NY it allows for major espionage - and has since its inception. NYC loses millions in parking fines, etc., that they simply do not pay, and it cause major headaches for police and similar having to "protect" these asswipes.
There are 193 members to the UN; split the bill equally. Funny how they miraculously found enough new budget money so the delegate bar can stay open past five and they can now all fly first class (while lecturing the US about global warming)

Simply put, the US needs to remove itself from that body of filth and corruption and it needs to have them physically removed form our soil. Then DeBlasio will have a place for all of his homeless "sanctuary" folks

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If y'all want it in France, I am sure that could be arranged.
It is nothing but a headache over here.
I had the displeasure of having to work in Manhattan for a few years and those UN guys were royal pains in the ass.
Thought that they were above any of our laws, just like a typical progressive liberal

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hear you. When you are in Geneva at the UN you will experience similar things. But these are the national diplomats and less the UN staff. I think also Switzerland pays quite some money for the building and all the surroundings.

But do we have something better than the UN?

·
Live Free
2,883 Posts
But do we have something better than the UN?
A valid and thought provoking question. But, though I do not like answering a question with a question, I have to ask, what good is the UN actually doing? My point in asking thus is, just because we might not have a better substitute does not make the UN worthwhile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A valid and thought provoking question. But, though I do not like answering a question with a question, I have to ask, what good is the UN actually doing.
Ok, I give you an example. The UN has established the UN-ECE, the Economic Commission for Europe. So not EU but Europe including Russia. Thanks to this, we have uniform regulations for the transport of goods on road, rail and inland waterways. Without it would be pure chaos and would cost a lot of money.

I agree that the system needs to be improved but it is one of the only institutions where you can discuss globally. But therefore you need to grant access to everyone. Like him or not. It can be a burden, I know, but without things would be much worse. Maybe not for NYC but for the rest of us.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
That was the EU not the UN; the UN is worthless and has strayed completely from its initial charter of responsibilities. It is about denigrating the successful Western countries while wanting US to pay the poor folks to make them wealthy without any work on their part. The issue is all that money winds up in the hands of their dictators. The UN has outlived usefulness. We do NOT need some NWO one world government infringing on the cultures of every country. Look at how many segments in Europe want to break away from Brussels for being iron-fisted and destroying individual country's dignity and culture. Giving the UN that much power would be disastrous from a social/cultural as well as economic stance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, as a matter of fact, it has been the UN ECE, the EU is adopting the UN ECE resolutions usually 1to1.

But I see we won't get together in this point. I experience a different UN, but I let you yours ;)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice respectful differences of opinions.
This is a good discussion when people from around the world can disagree without shouting at each other.

·
Live Free
2,883 Posts
Ok, I give you an example. The UN has established the UN-ECE, the Economic Commission for Europe. So not EU but Europe including Russia. Thanks to this, we have uniform regulations for the transport of goods on road, rail and inland waterways. Without it would be pure chaos and would cost a lot of money.

I agree that the system needs to be improved but it is one of the only institutions where you can discuss globally. But therefore you need to grant access to everyone. Like him or not. It can be a burden, I know, but without things would be much worse. Maybe not for NYC but for the rest of us.
One would think the European Union could have figured that out better without outsiders. I will look further into that, but from an American perspective it seems to be an anti American institution that is hell bent on trying to enforce UN policies above our own Constitution, especially concerning firearms, but much more.

UN involvement in the nation of Haiti has only succeeded in bringing more corruption onto what is already a rather corrupt country (this is my own first hand observations). The UN does seem to be rather strongly anti-Israel too. We can suffice to disagree about the UN; possibly we all can and should learn more.

It is good to hear your opinions without antagonism. Earnest dialogue grows our minds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Of course I understand your view. In Germany and also in France we see the EU in a similar way. Gun ban, Ammo ban, made by people and institutions we did not really elect.

On the other side, a lot of very good things originated in Brussels.

From an American perspective it seems like the UN wants to overrule US legislation. But keep in mind what the UN is, it is a Member States organisation not a people organisation. People are often not aware of that fact. Member States act in their national interest, not necessarily following an objective for common well-being.

So yes, I agree to disagree. Although both EU and UN have strong side effects, we need them. Same as Tylenol :)

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Bottom line is the UN and Eu benefits the UN and Eu more than it ever will the U.S.

Or even the citizens who live in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts